MX5 Upgrades

PsychDrift

Car
none yet...
So, since the MX5 thread seems to be dead I thought id post this here. Its my mans 40th soon and he's got a mark 2 2003 MX5, any idea of decent parts to buy for it as a birthday pressie? He only bought it a year or so ago and it looks like the guy who has had it before has done minimal, if any work on it. We've changed the brakes and the exhaust, basically because It really needed it, but I don't know what to get. I'm sure he was talking about a suspension upgrade at some point but that may have been for the skyline that is currently it bits out the back door. Any ideas folks?

Depends on your budget $$$ ? Tires for sure if not already done?, to be safe. Then make sure the suspension is tight to go and play! |B Then IF the budget allows later? This is the joy a turbo will give you! :D:D

Hmm the turbo is tempting! Makes the mx5 look even more like a little pocket rocket!

I'm not even sure about budget. Its just gift ideas really, its h's 40th so its a pretty big birthday but I'll happily Admit I know nothing when it coms to what's best for what car and what make to buy. I Pretty sure the tires have been done and I bought him a new clutch for Christmas. But as I said before the car looks like Its barely been touched in its 13 year long life! Nothing appears to have been changed or replaced really. Any essentials that I should consider before I think about the fun stuff? :)

Shiiiiiiit never mind the turbo just saw an HKS bolt on for £2000. I aint got anywhere near that much to play with. I'm a Student remember :D

The best way to know is to ask him to write a list of all the current NEEDS of the MX5 to put it into shape that he is comfortable with by most important to least. Then to write a list of all the WANTS he can think of adding to personalize this ride. |B

For me , I always work on the mechanical needs first for the safety of the ride. When it comes to WANTS(cosmetics)that is as personal as to which color of socks one wants to wear, etc. etc. etc. and WHY we are "CAR CRAZY" :D

The mechanicals are the easy part of the ride, it is the cosmetics that cause so much thought and confusion for anyone! :cool:

Shiiiiiiit never mind the turbo just saw an HKS bolt on for £2000. I aint got anywhere near that much to play with. I'm a Student remember :D

That is why a budget is so important, a gift always comes from the heart. <B When you become a Phd and World known, then spend a little bit more! |B

Well, I know its pretty much standard so I know anything that improves performance is going to be appreciated. I would never buy cosmetic type stuff for him because he has a very particular taste when it comes to stuff like that. My problem is that I don't really know what type of things I can buy that will improve performance noticeably on standard car, without having other bits to compliment it.

Just been having a wee look at pipercross induction kits ad the k&n typhoon intake system. Would you get noticeable result with things like that on a standard engine? Im just trying to think of the main components to upgrade or replace before people turn to more fun and frivolous upgrades :D

I know what you mean about getting him to write lists but I just want something that's more of a surprise this time. Was going to try and get s a weekend away to Japfest as its close to his birthday, But Its also close to my final exams and for all I know it could be the day before one of them!

The appeal factors of the MX-5 for me are the razor sharp responses and neutral handing. The standard chassis is more then capable of handling its standard power and torque. I find this appealing. Ramping up the torque output could well spoil this balanced and sensible little car, turning it into an unruly tail happy overpowered beast. Some folks will get off on this, and if that's what floats your boat, then why not? :)

Reactions: Teo
The appeal factors of the MX-5 for me are the razor sharp responses and neutral handing. The standard chassis is more then capable of handling its standard power and torque. I find this appealing. Ramping up the torque output could well spoil this balanced and sensible little car, turning it into an unruly tail happy overpowered beast. Some folks will get off on this, and if that's what floats your boat, then why not? :)

Absolutely! An unruly BEAST! But how much horsepower is too much? :D It is all in the pocketbook and how far one go's to empty it? Being CAR CRAZY does take some restraint. :cool:|B

I'm torn on this one. I like the old 2.0 litre 8 valve Mk4 Golf GTi for it's character. Lively enough, not fast, neither slow. Circa 115bhp, that's all.

Loads of body roll but tenacious lateral grip. Short pedal light pressure over assisted brakes. Dynamically it's a nonsense but it is fun for what it is. And, yes, it's pretty refined on the move too.

Reactions: Teo
I'm torn on this one. I like the old 2.0 litre 8 valve Mk4 Golf GTi for it's character. Lively enough, not fast, neither slow. Circa 115bhp, that's all.

Loads of body roll but tenacious lateral grip. Short pedal light pressure over assisted brakes. Dynamically it's a nonsense but it is fun for what it is. And, yes, it's pretty refined on the move too.

Hello HDi,
It is amazing that WE all have these personal passions for many different rides built from around the world! Thankyou, for it is truly a privilege to be associated with those whom share the phrase - "Car Crazy" |B