Mpg

ourcassy

Wrench Pro
Car
Dacia Duster 4x4
Hello all, just done a 1st MPG check on my new motor (using this site of course) & I'm staggered at the result. I took delivery of my Dacia Duster 4x4 Laureate on Tuesday last with a full tank.

Mileage covered... 414, fuel added to click off...36.83ltrs......MPG coming out at 51.1??? That's on a tight engine, ok keeping the revs below 2500 in any gear, but using all the gears (6) & not coasting as I would normally do as I want the engine to "bed in" under load until I've covered at least 1000miles
I'm amazed. Roll on coasting time.

On some cars, my wife's 03 Astra for example, uses NO fuel when travelling over 26mph with the foot off the throttle. Therefore coasting would be less fuel effecient. You may want to check whether your vehicle has the same fuel saving facitilty before returning to coast mode :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol. You didn't buy it for the mpg really did you? :)
:bigsmile:

Definitely not. It's a shame petrol prices have forced a lot of people away from having older/performance cars.
Hybrid is almost as bad as a swear word. And diesel is the devils fuel ;)

Foot off in gear is going to be better than neutral with just about any car made in the last twenty years. Once you select N the engine has to be kept idling and that means fuel

Good luck and enjoy

I know it's early morning & my brain probably isn't in gear yet, plus I'm old, but foot off in gear ie transmission now driving engine still = fuel being used!

Not these days. As HDi says, on most modern cars the ECU can switch off the injectors when the throttle is not being pressed. This couldn't be done when fuel was supplied by carbs. Therefore it is usually better to leave car in gear rather than coast in neutral. Check in your manual or ask a dealer.

Point taken again Steve, & of course, you're right.
Cheers

Edit. Just checked with my service manager at the dealership, who confirms your answer. Note to oneself, "keep up to date"

Last edited:
RE: Lifting off in neutral: You will however get engine braking which robs you of forward momentum so it may not give you the fuel saving you were expecting.

It will still be an improvement on coasting. Depending on speed coasting gives me between 125 - 200mpg in my wife's Astra turbo. However, throttle off uses no fuel and the difference in distance covered is small.

I have been using my mother-in-law's 08 VW for a year now and most of that time I coasted wherever possible. I wondered whether this is fitted with the cut out system so I have been driving this tank full without coasting and will report back in a few days.

Last edited:

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back