Moving your seat whilst moving

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Does everyone move their seat whilst moving along or do you do what you are supposed to and bring the car to a complete halt?

We all know it is a bad idea as the seat will slide forward and backwards under acceleration/braking.

Despite this knowledge it would still seem that drivers do this.

I was in a car with a friend the other day and he moved his seat back whilst the car is moving :eek:.

I couldn't really say anything as I've done this myself. What about you? Did you do it once and then say never again or do you think it is

The 406 had eight way electric seat adjustment for both front seats. Although not essential (and they're also very heavy) it's a luxury I really miss because you have infinite adjustment, no click stops etc.

And they are dead easy to adjust whilst driving. So I did.

In comparison the BMW as the same range of adjustment but it's mechanical and on the move it can be a swine so I really do try and avoid doing so.

Has anyone else tried adjusting the steering wheel while moving?

I dont recommend it (especially for height and reach adjustable ones) Unexpected corners are..... interesting :lol:.

Has anyone else tried adjusting the steering wheel while moving?

I dont recommend it (especially for height and reach adjustable ones) Unexpected corners are..... interesting :lol:.

Yes, I have and they adjust in both planes. Not the finest way to enhance driver feedback

I agree with HDi on this one... Electric seats are fantastic, infinite adjustment and you don't risk it suddenly moving if you have to accelerate or brake.

Adjusting the steering wheel on the other hand, that's rather awkward - but yeah, I have tried it.

erm, isnt the point here who is STUPID enough to move their seat/steering wheel while driving? and just as importantly, WHY would you need to? i set my seating position the first time i bought the car, and save for it having been driven by 1 other person, it has NEVER been adjusted.

i really dont get why you would need to? do you guys suddenly get taller/fatter whilst driving??!!

erm, isnt the point here who is STUPID enough to move their seat/steering wheel while driving? and just as importantly, WHY would you need to? i set my seating position the first time i bought the car, and save for it having been driven by 1 other person, it has NEVER been adjusted.

i really dont get why you would need to? do you guys suddenly get taller/fatter whilst driving??!!

We're not advocating it, just that some of us have transgressed once or twice.

I response to your final point it is a fact that most of us are taller in the morning than in the evening. It's to do with the compaction of vertebrae and cartilage in the spine.

Therefore the infinite adjustment of electric seats does have a plausible use.

You've never had a work-provided vehicle then?

I work with folks that range from about 5' through to 6'6" (I'm 5'11"). So we often have to adjust the seat, depending on who last drove it.

You've never had a work-provided vehicle then?

I work with folks that range from about 5' through to 6'6" (I'm 5'11"). So we often have to adjust the seat, depending on who last drove it.

Thats all well and good, but my point still stands, you adjust the seat/wheel when you get in, NOT when you are driving!

or do you work for a stunt company and change drivers whilst driving, hence facilitating the need to adjust seats whilst on the move!? :lol:

Has anyone changed drivers whilst moving? :lol: (Sadly there will be a few I'm sure!)

And yes Pikey you are spot on, we are not advocating this merely trying to stop those who haven't from trying to!

in the mondeo, like HDi above, it has fully adjustable electric seats. often find i have to fine tune the position once out on the road (not only myself driving it). but for manual adjustment i only ever do it before i start to go anywhere.