Motorists Speeding abroad still get punished

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
A new draft bill expected to be passed soon will see British motorists who break traffic laws abroad punished and points will be added to their UK licence.

Currently only a police office can issue penalties and fines and only if the motorist is stopped.

The new law allows video and camera evidence of motoring crimes to be used even after motorists return home.

Conversely British courts will be enabled to fine foreign drivers who flout our traffic laws.

I thought the French police already lived for finding the smallest infraction in the British driver on their French roads to deliver an on the spot fine ?-/

Well that makes keeping to the 55 limit in the states even harder for us Brits when on holiday! It doesn't help when most cops out there do not possess a sense of humour, I see hard times ahead!

North America does not have blanket 55mph speed limits as far as I am aware. This was trialled during the oil crisis in the 1970s and the efficacy of fuel saving was dubious.

It varies, the majority I have seen were 55, some 65. However to be honest driving at 55 didn't bother me as everyone was doing it. Plus those lazy V8s take a while to get going!

It varies state to state and of course limits on urban highways might well be lower than those on interstates. This is not dissimilar to the variable speed limits on urban motorways in the UK. In general lower speed limits allow for greater traffic flow and as such lower limits are suggested for this reason.

Many North American states have maximum speed limits of 80mph.

In the UK the national maximum limit is 70mph. There is no equivalent Federal speed limit in North America.

Indeed the states I have driven in go no higher than 70mph, Maryland and Delaware being 65mph. I see Texas has the highest at 85mph, interesting that.

Lots of oil in Texas :)

I was driving a friend of mine from London Stansted Airport to the Irish Ferry terminal - Holyhead, North Wales. Not in one swipe - she was visiting Europe and the UK. Home for her is Seattle, Washington State, US.

She was more than surprised at the speeds I used on occasions during the trip(s).

All during July 2014 though so roads were dry and vision clear.

so, if we are going to get punished for breaking driving laws abroad, does the uk currently prosecute foreign motorists here who flout our laws and chase them for payment ?

It varies state to state and of course limits on urban highways might well be lower than those on interstates. This is not dissimilar to the variable speed limits on urban motorways in the UK. In general lower speed limits allow for greater traffic flow and as such lower limits are suggested for this reason.

Many North American states have maximum speed limits of 80mph.

In the UK the national maximum limit is 70mph. There is no equivalent Federal speed limit in North America.

There are NO speed limits in the States! You can go as fast as you want, just don't get caught!! :rofl:

http://www.motorists.org/speed-limits/state-chart

Not dissimilar to the uk then.:)

Hello st24,
Nothing dis-similar to the UK or most other countries. We are catching up to the UK with cameras everywhere!:( More Photo/Speed traps right at the initial speed limit change signs so our finest in Blue, Brown, Green uniforms can drink more coffee and eat more donuts while being undisturbed, all in the comfort of the Police station, while writing and sending tickets via USPS! :rofl: The electronic age of Laziness is here to stay! \B

I still do miss chasing/catching the really arrogant, self-centered, egotistical/delusional moaps of society, but I DO-NOT miss the internal politics of the profession for the way it has become!!! :mad: Most of my fellow Officers truly feel the same way. :(

Automated speed enforcement is absolutely fine provided that it is applied sensibly, that the speed limits are realistic, and it is not at the expense of enforcement of other highway regulations.

Automated speed enforcement is absolutely fine provided that it is applied sensibly, that the speed limits are realistic, and it is not at the expense of enforcement of other highway regulations.

We are now dealing with machines that have zero tolerance and zero compassion. And many agencies that view the volumes of laws as Revenue Enhancement $$$ to support them. In Wisconsin in the early 80's the State Patrol Association tried to sue the State for demanding more tickets to be written as being an illegal demand placed on the Officers decision whether or not to enforce misdemeanor traffic per their Oath of Office as: A ticket QUOTA! Long story short, the States Attorney found a loop hole to the illegal demand by calling it Officer Performance Review and won the suit. It has been and is now every 1.2 hrs a motorist contact and every 2.4 hrs a hard copy(a revenue $$$ generating ticket!!) No If's-ands or buts!! If No tickets? Then NO promotion! No time in grade increases and possibly back on probation for just being a FAIR minded Officer!! My attitude was and still is, Education first, penalization last! Most Officers held and still hold that belief. If there is No accident or severe incident, then NO penalization unless Education is a useless effort on the Officers part. Most if not all agencies privately do not agree or allow that attitude to exist!! Publicly though they will tell the public "There is NO Quota!! At one time the Police Officer was Fair and called Friend, Honored and a Trusted member of Society. Now where are they? Not trusted, not honored or even respected anymore! And it is NOT the beat Officers fault, but the very system he or she is trying to serve!! They used be call Peace Officers just a few years back. Not "Law Enforcement" as they are described today.

Last edited:
^ ^ A good example of how it shouldn't be done ^ ^

Totally unfair on drivers and police officers alike. The enforcement machines and politicians who prescribe them effectively have divided the police from the public they serve and caused a huge breakdown in public relations.

^ ^ A good example of how it shouldn't be done ^ ^

Totally unfair on drivers and police officers alike. The enforcement machines and politicians who prescribe them effectively have divided the police from the public they serve and caused a huge breakdown in public relations.

Active example today is: NYPD trying to Fairly and Professionally do their job vs so-called Mayor DeBlasio creating absolute conflict with them for doing it! Truly a sorry state of political hypocrocy and human/financial abuse. :(

I feel your pain totally. I have a lot of time for the police. Policing is a difficult and often dangerous job. I wouldn't want to do it and therefore I admire those who do. Authoritarian politicians frequently don't understand the damage they cause when they operate in the way DeBlasio operates.

I feel your pain totally. I have a lot of time for the police. Policing is a difficult and often dangerous job. I wouldn't want to do it and therefore I admire those who do. Authoritarian politicians frequently don't understand the damage they cause when they operate in the way DeBlasio operates.

Thankyou from ALL who try to keep the Peace - World Wide! Yes the job can be very dangerous. We describe it as 99% pure boredom and 1% shear terror! When I pinned my star on just before going to work, I would give my wife and daughter a hug and kiss but never would I say see you later. The hug and kiss was all I could leave IF there was no later??

Political greed for personal power that causes internal departmental strife not only destroys an excellent Peace Officer, but their family as well! All because the politicians are ME people, only thinking of their next election and what to tell the peoples next? Wouldn't it be great if they were true States Men and Women with a message of TRUTH for all and NOT lies for their own political/personal gain!