MOT Rip Off!!!

bigbadjoe

Pro Tuner
Car
Evo 8 @ 400bhp
Just had my car MOT'd. The price was £55 (I know that is £5 over the going rate) and he could book me in for today. I called him last night and said I was unable to take my decat off, as it is too far forward on the exhaust to use ramps as I cant drive onto them, only revers.

My exact words were ''as your mot'ing it, do you mind taking the dcat off and putting the cat on for us''

to witch he replied ''no problems mate''

Car passed with no minors or anything. Went to pay and he said the charge was £84.94!!!

I asked why this was and he said it was half hour labour to change the cat, and that he doesn't work for free. I was gob smacked! I could have used my mates ramp for free, but my MOT would have been a day out. I expalined to him that it was only 4 bolts and would take me (a non mechanic) arround 5 min to change. He asked me to speek to the mechanic who did it for proof. WHAT PROOF. #!#!#!#!in Con men. He never said he would charge when I was on the phone. What a joke! I said I would no longer advise people to use him, and I defo would not use him again. I then said, I probabally put about 2-3 grand's worth of labour his way a year, and that would stop. Silly sod said fine.

If it took the mechanic any longer than 10 min, then there is a real problem.

I think a good mechanic would have had to have at least 2 tea breaks between the bolts.

I'm not suprised he charged, most would probably round up to the nearest half or full hour. If you use a garage a lot then they will typically do this sort of thing for free. That's quite a heavy price though for such a simple job.

Ouch, sure he should have mentioned about the cost increment? The garage I use always ring me before doing anything that would add cost

Personally I cant see why you would be suprised he charged you!
Time is money as they say;)

@ Waynne - No mate, didn't notice anything, as the garage was only half a mile in a 30 zone from where I work. I'll update you tomorrow though after I drive home tonight.

@ Herb :mad: lol. :D Its just they way the guy came out with it. And I have put so much busness past them they would never believe. Nobody does people favours any more do they. Its all money money money. People don't seem to look at the big picture. He has just lost himself a few grand a year busness (from the people I would have advised to go there) for £35. Good luck to him I say.

@ Waynne - No mate, didn't notice anything, as the garage was only half a mile in a 30 zone from where I work. I'll update you tomorrow though after I drive home tonight.

@ Herb :mad: lol. :D Its just they way the guy came out with it. And I have put so much busness past them they would never believe. Nobody does people favours any more do they. Its all money money money. People don't seem to look at the big picture. He has just lost himself a few grand a year busness (from the people I would have advised to go there) for £35. Good luck to him I say.

I feel your pain BBJ! my Main Dealer actually charges me in 1/3rds of an hour! have been using them for years, and other garages that I know charge me nothing for half an hours work, again because i'm a good customer. But if you were expecting a freebie and then was handed a bill for the job, then yes it would be quite a shock! even if the amount of money involved was a small one!

take it when you said 55 quid for the mot you rounded it off as the max you can charge is 54 quid and some odd pence
we are waiting for it to go up before we rise are prices as its no point going up 4 quid

as for charging he should of said to you he was going to charge
but is how you go about it or how he says it

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back