mot questions

nig

Torque Junkie
Car
rover 200 1.4si ish
uk mot laws, going to do a rally project but use it on the road as well?
a few questions i need help on

1 do rally and or sprint cars need mot's
2 can doors be welded up
3 can side windows go. webbing insted ect
4 indicators can thay go on dash as well as lights, wipers. and hi beam flash. all controlls on stering colum bar horn.be relocated. wipers switch on floor
5 cat-convertor can it go
6 wing indicators remove
7 door mirrors remove

may be more things as i think of them if ive missed some things please free free to comment or just lol i don,t mind.many thanks again.its been about 20 years since iv'e played around with cars, so a bit lost. have asked people at work ect but thay give differant awnsers.

may not do all these things but would like to know

uk mot laws, going to do a rally project but use it on the road as well?
a few questions i need help on

1 do rally and or sprint cars need mot's
2 can doors be welded up
3 can side windows go. webbing insted ect
4 indicators can thay go on dash as well as lights, wipers. and hi beam flash. all controlls on stering colum bar horn.be relocated. wipers switch on floor
5 cat-convertor can it go
6 wing indicators remove
7 door mirrors remove

may be more things as i think of them if ive missed some things please free free to comment or just lol i don,t mind.many thanks again.its been about 20 years since iv'e played around with cars, so a bit lost. have asked people at work ect but thay give differant awnsers.

may not do all these things but would like to know

1) Yes if its going on the road
2) Dont think so, not positive
3) Yes
4) Yes switches can go anywhere i think
5) Basically no, it doesnt specifically need a cat, but its unlikely to pass without one
6) Unless the front indicators wrap around then no
7) I think you need interior mirror and one outside mirror

Dont take this as gospel though.

have a browse here: http://www.motuk.co.uk/default.asp

I know you have to have a drivers door mirror for the MOT.
If it's a rally project why have the lights moved inside the car? Thats what banger cars do isn't it?

been looking into trackdays by far a lot more simple and just up the road is abingdon circut many thanks nigel

Firstly are you planing on building a stage car or road rally car?
for a stage car you will also need an MSA log book in addition to the Ministry log book not sure if MSA book is req'd for road rally car.

The rules on what you can and can't change for a stage car are quite complex and I would advise getting hold of the competitors year book Known as the blue book then following the rules in there.
MSA should be able to provide one for you or apply for your MSA licence and you get one with that.
example:
seat belts for a stage car are all now lifed, although mine has never struggled on MOT with belts you will need min 4 point harness which I belive is not strictly MOT standard even though they are stronger than OEM belts. the list goes on and on

A lot of questions there. some have been answered I know but for reference.
Keep the car as standard looking as possible, side windows have to stay but must be minimum 4mmthick perspex or polycarb. alternative is safety film.
footswitch wipers and washers on co-drivers side is good as long as driver has a set too.
lights must be in conventional positions. you are better keeping their controls on the column. less for the brain to think of
you cant weld up your doors as there is a safety access problem here
You can lose the cat if your car was registered before october 99 I think but it must be capable of passing an emissions test at scrutineering and MOT time
Keep your wing mirrors but you can fit smaller.

Hope that helps... I have been building a stage car recently

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back