Mot 2012

davalav

Pro Tuner
Car
Mini Cooper S R56
Hi guys,

Right... If all goes well on 30th July, I'll pass my driving test.

In the meantime, I have been thinking about what I want to do to my car.

I have then searched for MoT rules and see what they test for and make sure my mods don't inflict with current MoT standards...

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/car-servicing-repair/mot-changes-2012.html

Seems these new rules apply for modern cars?

If I add a half cage in, with an ICE install and bucket seats for example, an aftermarket steering wheel, coilovers etc etc.. Would I fail my MoT? My tester is fairly relaxed as he is by trade a Subaru techinician, so he does MoT modified cars and the sort.

Does the rule stand if the mods are poorly done? So I have my harnesses at the wrong angle etc.. Also, seems 90% of these new rules apply to new cars with all them gadgets such as Electrical parking breaks and the various other gadgets on new cars.

Just wondering if any one can point me in the right direction,

Cheers!

i dont think mods really affect an mot as long as you have the catalyic converter depending on how old the car is, rear lights are not blacked out had a mate whos car failed with them. if your car is lowered make sure nothing rubs when turning the steering wheel.
Saying this all my modded cars have always passed mots the gt4 seat belts didnt even stop under braking and had no airbags or any safety features now i think bout it

It does make sense that if its done properly, then it should be fine. I was a little worried I guess. We'll find out eventually! :lol:

Sometimes it can be a case of information overload Dave, its a pity Luton Matt has not been on here in a while as he is actually an MOT tester and very knowledgeable. I think by what you are saying that you should be OK, but if you still have any doubts try sending Matt a PM and asking him the question.

Just a bit of a worry for us, modifiers.

Not a bad idea though Mr. T, I'll give it a shot and see what he says back. I am sure it's all just a load of tosh.

If I add a half cage in, with an ICE install and bucket seats for example, an aftermarket steering wheel, coilovers etc etc.. Would I fail my MoT? My tester is fairly relaxed as he is by trade a Subaru techinician, so he does MoT modified cars and the sort.
half cage shouldnt effect it as long as its bolted in right.
aftermarket steering wheel nope as long as the airbag light isnt on that would fail it.
seats if fitted properly then should be fine again airbags if fitted to standard seats would need to be tricked.
harnesses would have to be securely fitted ie not attached to the show cage. not sure if there is anything regarding angles on it thats something matt might be able to help with
wheels and tyres as long as the tyre is within the arch and not rubbing should be fine.
coilovers fine as long as they are in good condition same as your standard suspension

Okay, so the MoT really doesn't effect what mods you have, belonging they are performed correctly. My car doesn't even have a passenger airbag! I'm sure its not too hard to bypass the airbag light. Or I can always fit it into the racing wheel I suppose.