Most nondescriptive car

old-git

Car
Elan & Robin Hood
I was pootling over to BAD to pick up my dampers this morning and at one point was following a debadged car. I know very little about modern cars so I had no idea what it was.

This got me to thinking, if you were going to be involved in some nefarious shenanigans, what car would you chose in order to be as inconspicuous as possible.

The colour would have to be silver/grey I guess as that it what most cars are today, but what about make and model? Something that is difficult to differentiate from other cars if debadged.

A Proton Satria gti. Saw a black, debaged one near Maldon for sale. Had no idea what it was until I saw another one driving up to the New Forest. Then it clicked!

problem is.. most cars these days are so distinguishable it's hard to create a car that keeps people guessing.

Our Toyota Corolla was invisible even with the badges on. No one recognised us, I even over took a friend twice on the motorway and he couldn't work out how i'd got in front of him as we waved as he went past us each time!

Anything VW - a debadged Bora, Passat is pretty anonymous. It does have to be grey or silver though.

A Proton Satria gti. Saw a black, debaged one near Maldon for sale. Had no idea what it was until I saw another one driving up to the New Forest. Then it clicked!

problem is.. most cars these days are so distinguishable it's hard to create a car that keeps people guessing.

Showing your age :) I would argue that cars these days are INdistinguishable as they are all built to the same criteria and use the same wind tunnels and design houses. Many also share floor pans and suspension so they are similar in size.

If I get the chance I think I will go to a car park and photograph the rear ends of a few (cars), photoshop the badges off and have a little competition. Maybe the prize will be a ride in the Elan :) (the Pod now allows passengers).

Last edited:
If I get the chance I think I will go to a car park and photograph the rear ends of a few (cars), photoshop the badges off and have a little competition. Maybe the prize will be a ride in the Elan :) (the Pod now allows passengers).

I can see that one competition proving to be extremely popular :amuse:

An A3. Every man and his dog has gone one up here. They are like wasps in summer. You see the first, then all of a sudden, hundreds of the buggers.

OK, competition is up and running. Look for tread titled 'Guess the car and win a ride :)'.

There a few today that look similar, Hyundai i40 and Toyota Avensis and some Honda's, even the VAG group blend in well. Some SEAT's look the same as the Audi and Citroen C5.

i dont know the model, possibly an octavia?

its a 4 door saloon and its a skoda. thats the car to get up to stuff in cos they are all bought as taxis so 1. you would get away with not bothering about the law. and 2. unless they got your registration number, you would blend in with the 1000 or so of them running around every town

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back