Most miles on a tank of fuel

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
If you were really careful how many miles do you think you can get out of a tank of fuel.

Also how many miles do you typically get?

I could get around 390-430 miles but I usually get around 330.

500+ from my Golf GT TDI 170 DPF (why did VW give it such a long model number?) on our country roads down South.

The Porsche, errrmmm maybe 250 if I'm lucky ;):bigsmile: even though it's a larger tank and a lighter car!!!

I was on course to get 660+ out of my last tank when running around Scotland. Not driving economically either.

Normally, I'm pushing the 400 mark.

I don't get more than £20 of fuel each time so I dont know. I'll see what I get though from a full tank and report back.

I swear my tank is only 30 litres. I was having a bit of a money saving run and managed 220 miles. I think I usually get about 190 miles, and I'm supposed to be going camping in Cornwall next month. I'll need to stop once on the way there, once when I'm there and once on the way back!

I'm only after buying an old shape a4 tdi and the day i bought it i but 50 litres into it and got 625 miles to it, i cudn't believe it,haha what a recession busting car,lol!!! :D

I average 320 miles to a tank with mixed driving. I can achieve +400 if driven with pipe and slippers...................only managed that once! On bad days and track days I don't want to know what it goes down to! and I know it is single figures!

On board info computer would suggest that 700 plus miles was possible with a full tank. I never took it that far but in July 2006 I got 580 before the low fuel warnings started to come up on the info display. The tank was 74 litres and it only took 60 to re-fill so perhaps the on board thing was fairly accurate at that point.

Best not to run the tank low in my opinion. Once even a simple tank gauge is down to 1/4 then do consider refilling.

You don't want the tank's empty parts to be exposed to air for too long - can cause corrosion in metal tanks, even anaerobic bacteria can grow and muddy up the filters, injectors etc.

I've noticed with most cars that the last quarter on a tank is much less than the first quarter of a tank. Do any cars have properly proportioned fuel guages?

On HDI's note, if you do run out of fuel it can cause havock in a modern fuel system with airlocks and similar in addition to the tank gunk being sucked through.

Best I have had is 708 miles Tunbridge wells to Poolwe in Scotland with one tank 3 passengers, luggage and air-con.

I've noticed with most cars that the last quarter on a tank is much less than the first quarter of a tank. Do any cars have properly proportioned fuel guages?

On HDI's note, if you do run out of fuel it can cause havock in a modern fuel system with airlocks and similar in addition to the tank gunk being sucked through.

I'm guessing it's the shape of the tank as many aren't symmetrical or whatever? Also the sender (inc. Mine) or float can't be at the very top as I can get 50 or 60 miles before the needle even moves.

I'm guessing it's the shape of the tank as many aren't symmetrical or whatever? Also the sender (inc. Mine) or float can't be at the very top as I can get 50 or 60 miles before the needle even moves.

Presumably the ECU can be programmed to take account of the non linear shape of the tank.

Maybe some cars but I know at least a few that are wired directly to the gauge. I doubt it's something manufacturers would bother with tbh.