Most innovative and original car maker

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Which car maker would you like to see get the title for being the most innovative and original? And why do you so answer?

What is the most outstanding new car model in the last few years?

I think VW have released so many new models they deserve a mention. The Skoda Yeti is also worthy of mention but for me I think the most innovative car maker has to be Nissan for producing the awesome GTR.

This would be more interesting if we went back the last 50 years. ( after reading your post for the secong time you may have meant that)

Cars that changed the rules

32GTR
Audi quattro (the first one)
Citroen DS21
mini
golf gti mk1
911 turbo
mercedes SLK (just for the top)
renault Espace (1ST proper mpv)

Citroen has to be the grand-daddy of innovative engineering. The unique oleopneumatic suspension, fully powered brakes, fully powered steering and swivelling headlights back in 1954!! Citroen has perhaps lost its way lately and become too conventional.

Unfortunately the build quality is 'sometimes' not up to Bavarian standards so if I bought a new C6 (which I think is a gem of a car) I'd have to spend an extra £10k getting BMW to take it to bits and re-assemble it again properly :)

Can't forget about the Lotus Carlton. Held the record for the fastest 4 door family car for years. 205 GTi could be worth a mention.

And probably not a huge contender for this thread, but i've not heard of many 6 gear cars being able to do 73mph in first gear like the Monaro VXR500.

quote from 5th Gear..

"it means, that the other gears are there just see how annoyed the police are going to be with you"

LMAO!!!

VW created the original hot hatch, Honda were the first to get 100bhp per litre iirc, and of course I have to mention BMW for the E30 M3. Let's not forget Bugatti and McLaren as well.

Dont want to upset anyone but.............

Can I remind people of the question
Which car maker would you like to see get the title for being the most innovative and original?
That doest mean list my favourite cars . (like the E type)

So
IMHO you have to leave out limited production cars and concentrate on ones available to the masses

On reflection I might leave out the slk for the retracting top

so it now is with reasons

32GTR......................rewrote the rules for a performance road car
Audi quattro .............1st proper awd car plus a bit of the above
Citroen DS21..............completely revolutionary suspension system
mini..........................1st of a new breed of fwd small cars
golf gti mk1...............1st serious hot hatch
911 turbo..................1st metal turbo car
renault Espace............1st proper mpv

And we have forgotton...........
The Toyota Prius which even though being disliked by most petrolheads actually has to be on the list
Maybe in a few more years I might add the new GTR but it certainly has to be the best and innovative completely new car.

BTW I think I might take issue with honda and 100bhp per litre...When was that ?

I saw this thread the other day, posted a big post on who and why and lost connection to my internet and lost the post, and in all fairness heart. So I couldn't be bothered typing it again.

Merc in genral should be awarded the most innovative. If its on a top of the range Merc, expect it on all cars in 5 years time.

Last edited:
Dont want to upset anyone but.............

Can I remind people of the question
Which car maker would you like to see get the title for being the most innovative and original?
That doest mean list my favourite cars . (like the E type)

So
IMHO you have to leave out limited production cars and concentrate on ones available to the masses

On reflection I might leave out the slk for the retracting top

so it now is with reasons

32GTR......................rewrote the rules for a performance road car
Audi quattro .............1st proper awd car plus a bit of the above
Citroen DS21..............completely revolutionary suspension system
mini..........................1st of a new breed of fwd small cars
golf gti mk1...............1st serious hot hatch
911 turbo..................1st metal turbo car
renault Espace............1st proper mpv

And we have forgotton...........
The Toyota Prius which even though being disliked by most petrolheads actually has to be on the list
Maybe in a few more years I might add the new GTR but it certainly has to be the best and innovative completely new car.

BTW I think I might take issue with honda and 100bhp per litre...When was that ?

I think the S2000 is the one with it's bonkers 9000rpm rev limiter. Thanks for putting the thread back on course.

The B16 engine they produced for the Civic (EK4, EM1) VTi back in the 90s. A 1.6 litre engine that produced 160bhp.

VW - Golf GTi - Original hot hatch (and possibly best of it's time).
BMW - E30 M3 - Domitated touring car championships of it's time. Still able to keep up with modern cars. Practically saved BMW from going down the pan.
Bugatti - Veyron - 1000bhp and 400kmh. Enough said?
McLaren - F1 - Original hypercar and benchmark for a long time. Originally made in the 90s and still has incredible performance by today's standards.

Last edited:
The B16 engine they produced for the (EK4, EM1) VTi back in the 90s. A 1.6 litre engine that produced 160bhp.

If you're talking NA, that's fair enough (I assume you are from the context).

Otherwise, the actual first *production* 100hp/L car was the Ford Sierra RS Cosworth, at 204hp/2L.

I vote Skoda anyway. How else can you explain the capability of their rally cars to perform above their stated capabilities? Plus they introduced that lovely hook to hang your shopping bags on, so you didn't have to repack your shopping when you got home.

Didn't Honda practice witch craft and achieve 197bhp out of one of their 1.6's?
Wasn't it a JDM spec?

That was a 1.8. Their JDM B18 (the Jap version of the engine we have in the Integra DC2 Type R). They've also achieved 180bhp from a 1.6. Very innovative when the Yanks only get 200bhp from a 5.7!

Yes clarification needed first NA engine may be correct first turbo was definately before that

As i said first and innovative cars not good ones - i will start a new thread for that now.