Most 40+ mpg petrol car under £1000

aston

The Torque Meister
Car
VOLVO and VW
Hard times on all, so I was thinking in the bath which would be the most smile inducing economical petrol car under £1000 (Which in turn could be converted to LPG) I was thinking of a Citroen AX Gt to get the ball rolling,,,,,

40+???

Hmmmm, Is this average or on a motorway?

BMW 318 (2003+ models)

As long as you don't kick the arse out of them, I know a lot of people who have had 40+ out of them

I can clear a reliable 38-39mpg in my 528i (Auto !) on a long run. Holdups do mess it up, of course. Sure, you can't go mad but I'm not one to sit in the left hand lane at 56mph needlessly. Driving to the speed limit where appropriate is all that's necessay, plus a huge sense of anticipation.

I managed 38.7 mpg on a round trip to Devon (about 410 miles) a few months ago. Verified at the pumps as well.

If nothing else it confirms my belief that the car is running properly. In fairness I didn't but it for under £1k

I meant to say Most FUN car 40mpg plus under a grand, So lightness is the key, AX GT something like 750kgs

how about a mk1 clio rsi or 16v there isn't much difference in power between the 2 but the rsi makes an excellent sleeper
Speaking from experience here;)

Not the best thing to be in if you're involved in a collision though.

Quite possibly one of the worst, especially with a large tank of home installed LPG on the back seat.... If you like to gamble, I tell you I'm your man
You know I'm born to lose, and gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby,
I don't wanna live forever,

Quite possibly one of the worst, especially with a large tank of home installed LPG on the back seat.... If you like to gamble, I tell you I'm your man
You know I'm born to lose, and gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby,
I don't wanna live forever,

It's not the gambling risk that worries me as such. It's the stakes involved.

Ford puma 1.7 or fiesta with puma engine they do 35-40 mpg driven sensible variable cam timing or summat like that

Yes I drove a Puma, Brilliant, Did ford put the 1.7 into a Fiesta? I know of a fiesta with a mondeo 2 litre on big carbs, Smashes everything on the track

Ford only put the 1.6 in the zetec s fiesta but many people have put the 1.7 engine in only need to change ecu and half the wiring instead of 105 bhp you will get 125 bhp and very fun to drive mines got the 1.6 and that's quite quick I might go the 1.7 route next

Ford only put the 1.6 in the zetec s fiesta but many people have put the 1.7 engine in only need to change ecu and half the wiring instead of 105 bhp you will get 125 bhp and very fun to drive mines got the 1.6 and that's quite quick I might go the 1.7 route next

Ever tried stopping a Puma from more than 30mph? The brakes are useless. This is based upon my experience with a Ford demonstrator in 1998.

Perfect excuse for a BBK. ;)

There are plenty of options for a brake upgrade mondeo focus fiesta from 280mm to 300mm my fiesta has been upgraded from 230mm to 280mm mondeo v6 brakes my brothers got 300mm on his fiesta but needed 16inch wheels also braided hoses

Yes the Puma I drove had terrible brakes, Apparently the Alloy gear-knob is a real pain (lititerally) in the winter months, So cold..... Still it was a gem to drive and good mpg

There are lots of diesels that tick this box now. You can get a good VAG group 1.9 150 TDI for peanuts and they give up to 60 mpg!