More satisfying to bolt on or build?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Which is more satisfying to do. Bolt on new parts to your car or build and fabricate your own parts?

Has anyone tried to do some custom work? How did it turn out in the end?

i was going to buy the radio cage with the fixing points for the screen already built in.
fabricated the screen into the cage,
came out alright, after about the 4th attempt of painting, and was impressed with it. felt better than i had built it myself rather tha n just paying for one to be shipped acros the pond

Bolt-on is quick, but you have to make do with what is offered and be like everyone else.

Build is slower and requires certain skills, but is MUCH more satisfying and you get exactly what you want and what no one else has.

A third option is having what you want made by a third party. You get the individuality but not the personal satisfaction of having made it yourself. This is also the most expensive option.

I have no choice. Everything is having to be bespoke :-(

Bolt on is okay and cheaper than making it yourself if the quality is good. However making something yourself adds a touch of individualism and knowing it is yours and no-one else's.

At least when it is your own fair hand that does it, you are the only critic and a harsh one at that! It's murder being a time-served toolmaker at times!

I enjoyed building my semi-space framed V8 Chevette, I did everything myself, machined all the parts, fabricated all the panels, made the space frame and suspension mounts, even the remote brake servo. Did all the welding too. The only time I may get something made for me is if it requires CNC machining.

That is one thing I miss as I have not been 'on the tools' for some years. If I had the room I would do the very same and buy a lathe and mill. I did have a small Little John lathe but sold it before I moved house as I did not have the room at the new place. At least I can use what machines we do have at work.

thought you were extending your garage stamford, plenty of room now for a milling machine lathe bench press along with the welder

just leave the rover on the drive ;)

thought you were extending your garage stamford, plenty of room now for a milling machine lathe bench press along with the welder

just leave the rover on the drive ;)

Yea, it is just a thought! If I could extend it and for a budget cost then yes I will equip it as such ;) It would be such a waste of space otherwise :lol:

Think it may wait until my girls are working...................get some keep to pay for the extra wattage to be consumed! I can also see a need for a 3 phase inverter!