more power

astra17

Wrench Pro
Car
pug 306 xsi 2.0 8v
hi there people looking for my power from my 206 1.4 except from selling it and getting a gti i came across these at www.turborevs.org.uk Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator or performace boost valve which of these will give my car abit more power any ideas

ok what would you reckon i should do to get more power i thought this would give me abit more power i know i will never get over 150bhp out of her but abit more power than whats shes got at the moment with the sports air filter

ok what would you reckon i should do to get more power i thought this would give me abit more power i know i will never get over 150bhp out of her but abit more power than whats shes got at the moment with the sports air filter

Sorry about the short reply, the misses came in at that precise moment and she moans when I spend to long on these forums :D I've you've just stuck an air filter on the inlet chances are you losing power from it. Have a search on the forum for more detail but you're best bet is sticking the old airbox back on with an uprated panel filter, cutting a hole in the pre-filter side and running a cold air feed to it. Don't expect massive gains though maybe 2bhp if you're lucky.

I won't tell you to buy a quicker car because that's just obvious although it is the most sensible thing to do. If you want to make your car quicker without spending thousands, look into weight loss. There's little things you can do without making the car unlivable day-to-day. Swapping the spare wheel and tool set for tire foam for example. Be clever about it and you can lose plenty of weight without going too far.

Every little bit helps, but as MasterAuron says, the only way to get heaps of extra power is by spending money. Because you have the 1.4, you are behind the eight ball to begin with. If you sold it, and put about 2000AUD (whatever that works out to in your currency) on top of what you get for the 1.4, you might be able to get a GTi (2Lt - 103kW) another 1000AUD and you could get a GTi 180 (130kW). On the other hand if you spend 3000AUD on the 1.4 it's gonna be hard to get 130kW out of it. The 1.4 produces something like 65kW. 130 is a big jump.

The advantages of a GTi over the 1.4Lt are significantly more power, 16in (17in for the 180) alloy wheels, MUCH better suspension, and a few other items like sports seats, sports steering wheel and sports styled pedals, gear change and fuel filler cover. The last items make no improvement in performance but if you are considering adding them to the 1.4, then selling it and getting a GTi instread and they get thrown in without you having to pay for them.

On the other hand if you just want to give the 1.4 a little more poke, to make it more fun to drive, then for a 1200-1700 (AUD - less in the US, parts are cheaper even after the exchange rate), you could do the basics:

Hi-performance panel air filter and rerouted air intake from front air dam - 3kW
Headers and 2in stainless steel exhaust with high flow cat and muffler - 11kW

That takes your 1.4 to about 80kW, which will improve driveability quite a lot.

Again as MasterAuron says, weight loss will make a big difference, and is the most affordable performance mod. Trouble is, what can you throw away? This depends how much you are prepared to sacrifice the practicality and comfort of a daily driver. Back seats (check the manual for how to remove the seatbelts, if they have pre-tensioners then there will be pyrotechnics devices involved), stereo including speakers, spare wheel, carpet and underlay, rear windscreen wiper and motor, doorcards can all go.

But the bottom line is you will get much more bang for your buck by selling the 1.4 and upgrading.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it 8v or 16v?
Something worth looking into on these engines, as they can actually be improved on quite a lot,
1) Headwork, in it's current gueise the head isnquite restrictive, this is because Peuegot designed donor wouldn't have "too much" power, after getting the ports bored out and smoothed youd be supprised at what can be had out of these things,
2) Rasing the compression ratio, these engines have a a very low compression ratio of around 9.5:1, so raising the will unlock extra torque.
3) Cam/Cams they are avaliable for this engine, Piper do them and so do Kent and CatCams
4) exhausts, we all know about these,
5) Forced Induction, look up DPengineering, you'd be supprised what a 1.4 can take...

There is more to add but incant think at the moment,

Brett