More power with an engine swap a simple guide

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
A popular modification with Torquecars members involves a complete engine swap and remains one of the most cost effective modifications you can do. As long as there is sufficient space in the engine bay any engine can be made to work in any car although in most cases the work involved is prohibitive to say the least.

Continue reading... or post your comments below on this article.

nothing like an engine swop as a little upgrade - Im on my second one and this will be the last one as it is capable of producing enough for me with a larger turbo.

Do RB30's come out of anything or are they a combination of RB26's and other bits and bobs?
rb30 is usually the bottom end of a 3 litre nissan engine that was fitted to various cars including a truck with an rb26 head.
Sounds strange using a truck block but nissan used one of their v8 truck blocks for the gt1 car.

Pardon? Enough? For how long? :)

I was expecting this comment og :)

I did say with a turbo upgrade

Honestly the drivetrain and a lot more of the car will need need to be upgraded before the motor reaches its limit

the HKS bottom end is capable of taking 1000bhp. and with the latest twin schroll turbos that is certainly possible with the appropriate fuel mods

Buy I cant see that happening it is a road car after all.

rb30 is usually the bottom end of a 3 litre nissan engine that was fitted to various cars including a truck with an rb26 head.
Sounds strange using a truck block but nissan used one of their v8 truck blocks for the gt1 car.

Okay mate, thanks for the clarification. Any performace benfits?

Not yet, but a test has been done of the rear engine ;)

Mental.

The larger RB30s spools up any given turbo quicker because put simply one engine cycle produces more exhaust gas to drive the turbo set up.

There are a few mods needed ( I think with the oil system) but despite the mods the rb30 isnt stupid money as the parts are not of racing pedigree .
The stock rods and pistons do have their limit though and with forged bits the bills get a fair bit higher .
The 2.8 HKS crank is about as good as you can get in terms of quality and are unbreakable as any engine component can be - If there is ever an issue it will a;mpst certainly be with something else presuming the motor has been built correctly.