More power in a 110HP TDI (already chipped to 140)

mauroper

Car
SEAT CORDOBA TDI 00
HI fellows. Being this my first post... second after my introduction, i want to ask you for help.
I have a Seat Cordoba TDI 110HP version of year 2000. It has already been chipped so it now has 140hp (torque figures from 235Nm to 290Nm, sorry haven't got a decent converter). It runs nice... but after a while, like everyone of you i dare to say... i'm willing more.

Question is the following: Which modification would you suggest for this car, keeping in mind that it has 100k miles, still with flawless health (probably because it's running on 5W-50 Mobil1), and should last... at least 50k more.
Mostly driven on the highway at relatively high cruising speeds (100 - 125 MPH).

Thank you very much, and please... keep the cost factor in mind... or warn before suggesting fitting a ferrari engine in it (english for Garret T66, NOS, and the injectors of a Caterpillar truck).

thats basically whats left to do mate.

you could try and fit the turbo, injectors and ECU from the 130 or 150 engines if you got them over there, but after doing that youd need another remap to get the best from it.

dont know how well it works but, try fitting slightly bigger injectors and get the map adjusted might give a small amount of power.
Panel filter and exhaust will give a small amount but not much as diesels flow pretty well as standard

otherwise it is a case of fitting a bigger or hybrid turbo, Nitrious, propane

As for converting Nm to Ftlb multiply (times) by 0.738
so 290 x 0.738 = 214 Ftlb

The 110 is not PD engine so I doubt that the turbo will fit due to different heads and manifolds. A hybrid turbo with cut back blades could be used. This will give the option of much higher boost presssures. The problem then is can the injectors get enough fuel in in the time available.

mm forgot that the 110 wasnt PD. the injectors can be uprated easy enough.

another thing that might be an idea to get hold of is, Do you have the 1.8t unit ?, as the lower pipe from the intercooler, pancake pipe from its shape, is very restricive in the earlier engines. swapping this out for a late model or the 1.8 turbos one flow better.

also watch if you do go for high boost levels through a hybrid or even standard turbo as you connectors on the boost hoses, esp the intercooler pipes get better hoses clamps on them (cant remember the name of the clamps not jubille of hose clips)

PD stands for Pumpe Duse. The PD engines have diesel injectors integrated into the cylinder head assembly and are operated by cams on the single camshaft.

The other term in rough translation is unit injector. Basically each injector builds its own fuel pressure under mechanical action from the cams but the fuel timing and dwell is electronically controlled. PD allows for high fuel pressures, in turn which leads to better atomisation and complete combustion.

All PD engines (and all diesels anyway) have a return to the tank so that fuel that is not injected is bypassed back to the fuel tank.

VW's PD engines were amongst the best of diesels for a very long time. VW has now seen fit to use the common rail system of fuel delivery. In some ways this is good, but the PD engines were years ahead of their time in the late 1990s. If only the development had continued we might have seen some really special diesels from VAG.

It's possibly an economic decision by VAG to adopt standard technology. The common rail systems are very good but if the PDs eclectic mix of conventional and radical had been continued then we might have seen some very impressive motors.

After all, how many manufacturers were seeing a very solid 150bhp from a sub 2 litre 8 valve diesel engine in 1999? One only - VAG.

HDifun thank you very much. Yeah i knew pumpe düse concept... just never called it PD.
And i think it's really good although it seems old today. After all (remember I'm in Argentina, but people in USA will agree) i can tank just normal diesel without worrying for it's quality, while common rail engines are very sensible to "bad diesels" calling so the ones with more sulfur content.
Anyways i will, when possible, use better diesel, even Biodiesel.

yeah that is a point the US has just started to really get diesels in the last few years.
dont think the PD engines take to biodiesel very well and theres also the problem of the seals being worn quicker with the use of bio diesel