More BHP from a SLK320

Cen

Wrench Pro
Car
SLK320
Have anyone carried out or know of mods to get more BHP out of the 320?

Also, I am thinking of changing the alloys but find it difficult finding a set with different offsets. I.E. ET38, ET30 anyone know of a company dealing in wheels with different offsets?

Thanks for any help, new to this forum

Hi Cen and welcome to TorqueCars its nice to have you along. I've heard there are problems with the wheel arches on the 320's - has this affected yours?

What year is it? The best mod you can do on it would be a remap IMHO. This should also remove the limiter so you can max it out on track days.

Are you after different size front/rears?

Wayne, I am not aware of any problems with the arches and my motor is most certainly not affected with such. What are the so called problems?

I have 17" wheels fitted at present which are from a 2005 SL350 which are fitted front and back with 225x50x17. I dont have any problems with them other than the cosmetic bit. I would much prefer a five spoke (rather than the seven) with maybe a lip. 17's are fine don't see the need for 18's.

The car is 2001 but absolutely mint, kept in a dry modern garage and not used daily. I bought a run around for daily abuse. The car is not allowed out to play in bad weather. I live on the Brecon Beacons where there is an abundance of good sports car roads.

I know absolutely nothing about re-mapping what can be achieved altogether from such and where is a good place to go for a remap?

I think it was rust bubbling on the arches. Theres a lot of internet chatter about the arches. Its probably just rumors started by other German car makers.;)

The car sounds great and very well looked after. Have you tried Brabus to see if they offer remaps for your model? They might even be able to help with the wheels.

I guess a 5 spoke is easier to clean :lol: I'll keep an eye out for wheels, meanwhile have a peek in our sponsors shop (link at the top) and see if they have anything suitable for you.

Just had a reply from a company called Custom Tuning (customtuning.co.uk)

Have anyone heard of them?

They tell me that there are two models of the SLK320 being 200 & 225 bhp and they can take it to 235 and 260 respectively. Unfortunatly, I'm unsure to which mine is I'm guessing 225bhp anyone know how I can check?

260 would be awesome however, I would prefer to hear a little about the company first.

check the engine code,
or look in the handbook there might be a sticker to tell you what engine is in it - being german its likely to be in Kw or PS. PS is pretty much the same as Bhp but Kw youll need to convert of post up or someone to do it or you

160.3 Kw or 218PS therefore would I be correct in the calculation 160.3 x 1.34 = 214.8

If this is correct then I would be concerned to Custom Tuning quoting me the figures of 200 and 225 for the model hence, losing confidence in the company. Would require more information about them and testomies.

yeah 218 PS is around 214Bhp, so they are a bit off even i they had marked it down as 218 Bhp as most companys do.
superchips have it listed as 218. and they claim a 13bhp increase however theres no dyno there to show where the big increases are

Looks like we know to steer clear of "Custom Tuning". 35bhp from just a remap of a 3.2 N/A car is rediculously optomistic. Custom Bull*** more like...

The problem is a lot of people believe the figures that they are quoted as they would really like to see a huge power gain and without a turbo it's not gonna happen..
it's the torque that makes all the difference. we dont tell fibs about our power increases, word of mouth travels fast in this business.. :blink:

steve