mondeo mk3 tdci 2.0 timing belt

halpha

Car
Mondeo TDCi 2.0
HI there,

my beast has just turned 120k km, got a mild chiptuning and a better airfilter, and I was wandering of the timing belt MTBF: does anyone have an idea? official ford service says that there is no maintenance foreseen until "maybe" 200k Km, I guess the typical low rev of diesels together with low valves overlap angles speak of little stress for the camshaft and the belt, nevertheless I've had bad experiees with worn-off timing belts on older cars and I do appreciate any suggestion.

on another topic, anyone knows where to get a service manual (workshop type) for my mondeo?

thanks a lot and revvup!

Hal

thanks pgarner, as a matter of facts it really seems like it´s a chain. In this case, is then just a corrective maintenance sufficient, i.e. when I hear it rattling, it´s time for a check? Hopefully it should give enough warning signals before becoming so loose to jeopardise valves´timing...

for what I´ve understood with the info I could get, gaining access to the timing chain is not a straightforward task, as apparently its housing is glued/welded to the engine structure, which then explains why ford service do not foresee a preventive maintenance on it

thanks for any additional thoughts/experience on the matter

cheers

hal

Change the drive belt. Most probably the belt is loose, or teeth are worn. You can try to change it yourself, 'cause there must not be any welding or permanent type cover. Be careful about the timing according to the manual. Try to have a rough sketch done before you dismantle the system. Best of luck mate !