Mondeo air filter / induction

Lozza

Car
Mondeo 2.3ltr Zetec
Hi All,

I have a 2007 Mk4 2.3ltr Mondeo.

Am thinking of starting to put a few minor mods on it starting with an air filter / induction kit.

I have a few questions (im very new to this so go easy on me :))

1: I've read that an induction kit could cause the car to actually be slower at lower revs (mentioned for smaller engines but im not sure what is classed as a small engine). Would I experience this problem?

2: Is the ECU able to handle the change in air in take with no adjustments?

3: Would I notice any difference immediately?

4: On recommendations on brands to buy? How will I know whether it will fit my car? Anyone installed on already on their Mondeo?

Thanks

Lawrence

Howdo.

Here's my take on things:

1) They're probably talking about losing low down torque but you'll not notice stuff like that until you start changing camshafts or inlet tracts.

2) Yep - unless again, you start doing major changes.

3) Depends what you mean by difference - you'll not really notice any increase in speed or acceleration, but from purely my own experience the engine seems to breathe a little easier when at high revs, and gets a little better mpg..

4)Air filters - tbh, and again, IMO, a CLEAN oem quality paper filter will flow just as well as the K&N, Pipercross etc. It only starts to flow less when it gets dirty.
Induction kits - you might be able to get tailored ones, or you can go for something like a BMC CDA, probably the 85/150 for your 2.3, then site it whereever you can. The most crucial thing here is to get a good cold air feed to it. From the grille or bumper.

Howdo.

Here's my take on things:

1) They're probably talking about losing low down torque but you'll not notice stuff like that until you start changing camshafts or inlet tracts.

2) Yep - unless again, you start doing major changes.

3) Depends what you mean by difference - you'll not really notice any increase in speed or acceleration, but from purely my own experience the engine seems to breathe a little easier when at high revs, and gets a little better mpg..

4)Air filters - tbh, and again, IMO, a CLEAN oem quality paper filter will flow just as well as the K&N, Pipercross etc. It only starts to flow less when it gets dirty.
Induction kits - you might be able to get tailored ones, or you can go for something like a BMC CDA, probably the 85/150 for your 2.3, then site it whereever you can. The most crucial thing here is to get a good cold air feed to it. From the grille or bumper.

Thats a awesome reply! Thanks for taking the time to post!

One final question...... will the engine sound different (im assuming it will at higher revs)

Also, is there any other little bits and pieces I can start to do to the car to get better performance / sound? Obviously there are bigger things like exhausts etc....what would you recommend a good place to start with?

IMO a good uprated exhaust system will do more than changing your airbox. Modern cars have pretty efficient systems already.

That said putting a induction kit on is a good, satisfying introduction to modding, it's not too pricy and it will give a little benefit. I've done it on every performance car I've had, cos it just feels good doing it.

As to sound, you can get some increased induction noise, which IMO sounds better on cars with 6 or more cylinders. (;->