mods

Hi Rogers - welcome I wish you much happy tuning. The biggest bang per buck has to be NOS but there is a running cost associated with it.

Generally an extra 10bhp costs £500 - £1000 in parts. A turbo ads 50bhp or so for £3000 it depends a lot on the base car. The more you invest the better your retun on investment so whats you budget and we'll debate your best buys in that range.

For 10k why not go for a Turbo/Supercharger hybrid! Be prepared to go through alot of clutches and gearboxes if you are planning to tune your car extensivley.. Which by the sounds of it.. You are!

While what car? engine size? awd? fr? ff? are valid questions this is a general topic - so we get to talk general theory here. The sort of things that work on most cars.

Whats the cheapest mod to any car that increase the bhp the most?? anyone know?
the cheapest mod you could do is the little chip you can buy on ebay for around five pound that goes in the mass air flow plug ive not tried it yet but thinking about it but said to give you around 5-18 bhp in fooling the ecu to make it think its getting more cold air than it really is may be thats why when its cold the car will drive faster if you ever notice as its sucking dencer air

You'll destory the cat if you constantly run over rich mixtures. You'll also wreck the cylinder bores as the excess fuel washes the oil film from the cylinder walls.

The key is getting more air into the engine first. Most fuel systems can cope with extra air ie. they're not maxxed out in normal tune and can deliver more fuel if necessary.

I'm not sure about the drop in panel filters to be honest - I don't like the idea of bathing the MAF in sticky oil.

although whether the car has a turbo as standard would surely make a difference ??

For instance, surely you'd get a lot more bhp for your money if you were to tune a twin turbo supra than a N/A one ??

my friend increased the bhp on his diesel golf from 150bp to 220bhp just by a r/r remap. That was an increase of 70bhp for £400 !! whereas for a 2.0gti superchips are saying it's a 10bhp increase for £299

So maybe there should be two sets of options . . one for n/a cars and one for turbo/supercharger ??

IMHO turbo cars give the best tuning return and are usually over engineered.

HDI - the panel filters are fine. You only have trouble with oil if you soak them - all it needs is a fine mist. I know a few people who run them dry and they still work well. I've had mine on since I got the car and the MAF shows NO signs of oil fouling - I give it a very light spray on the downward side. The oil is just to aid filtration but most are equal or better than standard paper filters even without the oil.

So to summarise the most power on a Turbo comes from a REMAP and on a NASP engine I would say fast road cams make the biggest difference.

You'll destory the cat if you constantly run over rich mixtures. You'll also wreck the cylinder bores as the excess fuel washes the oil film from the cylinder walls.

The key is getting more air into the engine first. Most fuel systems can cope with extra air ie. they're not maxxed out in normal tune and can deliver more fuel if necessary.

I'm not sure about the drop in panel filters to be honest - I don't like the idea of bathing the MAF in sticky oil.
ok how about fast road cams not the cheapest way but do you know how much bhp i would get roughly the car in is alfa 156 2.0

A fast road cam can give you upto another 20% power (depending on the profile - avoid competion or track day cams as these are too extreme) if combined with a sports exhaust and air filter. Expect about 15% otherwise.