Mods for a Lada Niva

Hansi

Track Warrior
Car
Getz GLS 1.6
At the moment I'm looking at a 2002 Lada Niva. I Posted this thread to get some new ideas and some advice if I end up buying it.

The things I will do if I buy it are:
Sound System
31-33" tires
Bucket seats
Interior overhaul
New Paint
Engine Swap
Tinted windows
Turbo

So does anyone have any advice what engine I should try to squice in there or any more ideas. It is not certain that I will be able to buy it but I shure hope I will:toung:

I agree with pgarner, a TVR V8 would do V nicely :)

some 38's would be good :p

and if it doesnt have it, 4wd (dont know about the lada, only really know that they are old cars here and that they died out aaages ago, but made not to bad rally cars when done correctly)

common and easy engine swap is the fiat 2ltr twin cam, or even better a lancia volumex engine. done a few of these swaps in the 80's

I agree with pgarner, a TVR V8 would do V nicely :)

some 38's would be good :p

and if it doesnt have it, 4wd (dont know about the lada, only really know that they are old cars here and that they died out aaages ago, but made not to bad rally cars when done correctly)
I think your thinking of the Lada Riva, that was a 4 door saloon, the niva was a very acomplished 4x4

I remeber the Riva Cossack, its quite different from a Niva but I now that quite a few people swap in Lancia turbo engines.

The lada niva is a 4x4 and is a great car, though with a few drawbacks. You get very low torque (one guy I know did 19.97 in the 1/4 mile on a stock lada), they rust really easily because the factory does a really poor job of painting them, and the cars are, in some situations hard to handle. The russian tires they come on do not grip at all but that will be fixed wery easily. If you take it over 120-130 kph (about 75-80 mph) they will start to shake and can be different to handle espacially if they are still on the russian tires.

I would love the 38' but then you would have to replace the chassey and probably the whole drivetrain but you can fit the 31' without to much problems.

I love these cars because they're different and have been thought of as junk for a few years now but I think they might be coming back over here.

I once saw rust on a brand new Lada in a showroom :eek: a bare metal respray would certainly help with waxoil sealant underneath. Due to their mechanical simplicity they are dead easy to work on. I'd lose the badge and replace the front bumper with a nudge bar and get some spot lights.

ok, you can add some extra suspension, and make the car go up alittle bit more, if you know what i mean. ok the purpose of the lada niva is that it is a cheap off road car, and it has shown itself off roading.... however that i'm not a fan of russian cars, russians seem to show theirself very good on this car, their experience in sibir.