mods before remap ?

geraint13

Pro Tuner
Car
Zafira 1.9 SRI
now ive got myself one of bmw's best engines ive decided to start saving for a remap. £399. (celtic) to be done in the new year. (ish)
anyways, would i be better doing any mods now before the remap or wait till ive had it ?
the figures celtic gave me 173 bhp, up frm 143 bhp. not a bad gain at all i reckon.
your views and opinions welcome as always.:p

Definitely mechanical mods before remap. Make sure the tuner knows what else you've done so they can optimise the map to make best use of your other mods.

Depends on the mods. Free flowing modifications such as exhausts, induction kits and manifolds don't normally need to be accounted for in the software. As such you'll get the same benefits even if done after the remap.

Depends on the mods. Free flowing modifications such as exhausts, induction kits and manifolds don't normally need to be accounted for in the software. As such you'll get the same benefits even if done after the remap.

That's reasonable enough - lambda probes and MAFs cover a failry wide range of flow rates.

SO what sort of mods would be best done before map is written?

paul, not sure if this is right or not,

uprating turbo (dont know if this is even poss with my car), intercooler (dont know if my car has one, havent really looked)

cant think of much else such is the limit of my knowledge. lol

Yeah - anything to do with fuelling or compression such as inter-coolers, turbo, injectors, head spacers etc etc need to be accounted for with software.

Depends on the remap too - a generic one won't care what mods you have or not. But if it is a custom, definitely do mods first so the remap can be configured to make the most of them.

I'm not a fan of generic remaps anyway - but if your modding the car, beyond things like filters, exhausts (etc) it really is a must to get a motor that will run correctly..

Depends on the remap too - a generic one won't care what mods you have or not. But if it is a custom, definitely do mods first so the remap can be configured to make the most of them.

so, basicly, gets mods done as a general rule, inform the mappers, get either a custom job or generic one, which ever is better for my car and best suited to my driving style.

on a different thought am now averaging 44mpg on the car. so happy !!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Thats the galling thing about Diesel remaps! More power and Better economy! That's like having your cake and eating it!

Thats the galling thing about Diesel remaps! More power and Better economy! That's like having your cake and eating it!

Indeed. Did a mates VW Caddy Van - 103bhp > 164bhp with buckets of torque and he phoned me yesterday to report average MPG has gone from 42 to 55 !! - That is the largest jump I have ever seen.

I know you to be our Tech guy:)
So, yet again please forgive me my total ignorance as to some of the terms you guys come up with in replies:embarrest::embarrest:
Would you (or others??) enlighten me somewhat:confused:
Modding is replacing parts with others to increase efficiency, fuel consumption upgrade etc???:blink:
Mapping is? What?
reforming ALL the engine, suspension, braking system and so on??:confused: I did say that I was on here interested in the safety and driving aspects rather than anything else.
(for one very good reason in that I can no longer afford expensive things. For cars or anything else:(:(:()
Many thanks for any replies in advance:bigsmile:
By the way can someone tell me what IMO stands for (ignorant again you see:lol:)
Definitely mechanical mods before remap. Make sure the tuner knows what else you've done so they can optimise the map to make best use of your other mods.

imo = in my opinion
mapping is rewriting the programme thats on the computer chip that controls what goes on in the cars mechanics.
modding is changing the manufactures parts for others that do the same only better in most cases.
HDi fun will correct me if im wrong on any of the above.

Thanks buddy
So , as computers control more and more functions I guess that it is a debatable point as to what you DO. Modding would then also cover the replacing/upgrading of engine etc as I noted in my query
dkimoc= dont know if my opinion counts= dmoc :lol: Well, we can all make these up:embarrest:
imo = in my opinion
mapping is rewriting the programme thats on the computer chip that controls what goes on in the cars mechanics.
modding is changing the manufactures parts for others that do the same only better in most cases.
HDi fun will correct me if im wrong on any of the above.