Modify AVAS sound in EVs

siba2001

Car
Tesla 3
Hey all,

my name is Silko and I am glad I found this board. Moved recently to Oslo and here are all these electric vehicles (EV). I am somehow impressed by the shear amount of them. So far I love the combustion engines a lot but financially the EVs are quite in favour here so I am considering using such a car.

Did anyone here on the forum ever successfully modify the sound pattern of the AVAS (acoustic vehicle alerting system) to give these EVs a little bit of emotions back? It would be nice if the result would be still road legal.

Grateful for all hints,
Silko

That sounds like an interesting project idea. I've not heard of anyone doing this.

In the EU the rules state AVAS when operating at speeds of 0-20kmh (12.5mph) and project a noise of between 40 and 60 dB(a) in a two-metre radius = United Nations Regulation 138!

As long as you keep within this rule you should be ok.

There must be a sound file somewhere which can be swapped out but as far as I know the ECU's are locked down pretty tight and few people have cracked them yet.

I'm sure this will change in the near future, especially now you've put that idea in peoples heads!

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back