modding wheels??

herb

modherbrator
Car
Seat Leon Cupra

im considering taking my standard 20 spoke wheels and chopping 10 of the spokes out
now my question is would this affect the integrity of the wheel i.e. would the wheel buckle/collapse under stress ?

the main reasons im thinking of doing this are my 18's need a refurb and i need the budget tyres replacing asap cause they are scary in the wet! (but i cant afford new tyres at the moment)

so my thinking is cause i have good all weather tyres on the standards but i hate the look of them making them a little different (if safe to do so!)

Assuming that this isn't a wind-up, only do this if you are a complete and utter idiot and don't care if you kill yourself or others. Period.

Last edited:
Don't even go there, mate. Truly, leave 'em be as they are. The mechanical loads on wheel rims and tyres themselves are enormous.

Chopping away at spokes will automatically reduce the rigidity of the rims.

Quite apart - you're likely to cause localised thermal stress points as a result of your work.

If you really want 10 spoke rims then go and buy some.

I have to agree with what the previous posters have said. DON'T DO IT.

Apply black paint to the odd spokes if you want to change the look of the wheel. The spokes are thinner because there is 20 of them. If the makers cut this down to 10 then the spokes would be thicker and deeper to provide the strength.

it wasnt a wind up! i would hav done it if it was safe to do so
but by the replys (1 very blunt :amuse:) i wont be doing this!!

get a push bike, cut the spokes out of that wheel and drive

done it, ok, now imagine a 1000 kilos or more weight down on that alloy

prevtec has it there get a old bike tyre slam it on ground... nothing... cut half the spokes off repeat.... splat ! then imagin that at 70mph over a pot hole :D