Modding Newbie here - Where do I start?

Avenger18

Car
Audi A1 1.6 TDI
Heya Guys

Just signed up to the website. I got my first car in November, a 1.6 TDI Audi A1 (2012) Already I am finding myself wanting a little more from it though!

Last week I got a stage 2 engine remap and the gains have felt amazing. I'm just wondering where do I go next?

Air Intake and Exhaust seems the most likely options (although I have read in some places that Air Intakes do very little on an A1)

Do you guys have any recommendations for me? Be it advise, parts, or just general car chat :D

Hi and welcome :)

Just a friendly warning from possibly the oldest petrol head on this forum is that once the mod bug hits there is no known cure and you seem to be in the grip of the early stages of this disease seeing that you have already had a remap and now want more :)

As a general rule all turbo motors need zero exhaust back pressure after the turbine housing so my recommendation is that you install a larger diameter with MANDREL BENDS in the system with a hi flow cat(if it has one)and a straight thru silencer that has a perforated internal pipe and NOT louvered as they create an unwanted turbulence and restriction to exhaust flow.
IF I had your car I would get a 3 inch dump from the turbo reducing to say a 2.5 inch remainder OR 2.5 inch from the turbo.

Some further driver training would be high on my list for a newly licensed young driver as you are in a very high risk category.

Hi there! :)

Haha yeah it does seem like I am, I keep telling myself I'd be better off just saving for a better car but I want to give this one some love too ;)

Gonna be honest, most of what you said there does not make sense! I have literally no experience at this sorta stuff. Biggest trouble I am having right now is finding out where to get stuff done, and good places to find parts for things. (Plus, you know, what parts I actually need!)

I assume all the stuff you mentioned above is exhaust kit. Any idea's where I can get that stuff? Any good websites or companies you know would be a great help!

Yeah I've only been driving a few months. Might be a good idea. Could even lower my insurance costs :woot:

Trust me what I have suggested is good advise as I have "been there and done that" and much more to the car in the pic and have had my car dynotuned /on a "rolling road " as you in the UK seem to call them after any engine mod to ensure that the ignition and fuel maps are optimized for the best result and it doesn't go BANG

Any good exhaust workshop should be able to carry out the exhaust mod I suggested.

Better quality and brake pads and tyres should also be one of the first things to upgrade BEFORE you increase power IMO

You should run the mods you want to have done past your insurer to see if they will still cover you IN WRITING and at what increased cost if any BEFORE you get them done.

agree with tcjboldie, air intake and exhaust system to start, then have it rolling roaded. Wouldnt bother with an induction kit on a small engine, instead go for a performance high flow panel filter, if u want the induction noise dobthe old trick of drilling a few holes underneath the airbox. I always look to do the airbox mods and exhaust mods before anything, get the cold air in and the hot air out basically. There is a lot of info on this site that can assist you with the three stage modding system. Most people from what i am aware tend to stick to stage one but as above, modding is very very addictive.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back