Modding Almera 1.5 SVE?

JVCdonald

Car
Almera 1.5 SVE
I'm thinking about getting serious about tuning my almera, but theres not alot of options out there on the net. Barely any performance modifications you can get for the N16 almera.

i've currently have the 1.5 engine, 1.8 primera gearbox (due to the original being unreliable) cone fillter (just for sound) and also just getting custom exhaust (from center back).

Can anyone help or direct me to more than just K&N kits and fuel boosts(which is pointless atm)

Hi all, btw i'm new here. So.. Hi :D

Last edited:
Welcome to TorqueCars :bigsmile:

Can't help in that particular area for this engine but have you thought about what level of tuning you want and will this engine give it? Ditch the cone filter as this is giving you heatsoak with poor performance and economy. You could always make your own induction kit going the enclosed route with quality silicon hoses, cold air feed etc. BMC CDA are well known carbon enclosed units and mated to a decent pipe run and optimal cold air feed will supply good clean air to the engine for starters.

A free flowing cat-back exhaust will also help with the breathing mods, swapping the standard cat for a sports cat will also help. But like I said, is this the base you intend to work from? Budget will also dictate how far you go with the mods.

Greetings and Welcome to our TorqueCars car Forum :)

Feel free to have a look around the website, there are many varied and interesting articles to read on all manner of car modifying subjects.
Also, you may find our members project threads and photo gallery very useful as a source of inspirational ideas towards your own special project!
Enjoy! :)

This might sounds kind of obvious to us but maybe you haven't thought of it... Engine swap! If you want to do things seriously then you'll need an engine you can find parts for.

Hello and Welcome to TorqueCars.:bigsmile:
Hope you enjoy your time with us.

I was going to say the same Prince.
SR20DE springs to mind. Or for a bit more money and work an SR20DET from a Pulsar would be awesome.

I have seriously been looking at the SR20DET, i know that the 1.5 isn't really a good project.(it was just standerd) Now i'm just putting in a primera gearbox cuz i've had so many problems with the 1.5 almera box. I have the doner car(£150 for S&R Xreg (BARGIN)) here with a very neet and tidy 1.8 with about 85k on it. Since i have the 1.8 here already would that be any use? Or should i just go the whole way and go for the SR20?(they are hard to come by aswell??) Just need second opinions with you guys who know what your on about.

What you guys think? Thanks btw

And i am totally up for heavy work, i like to be good with my money and i do all my work myself plus fabricating most things aswell. thanks guys.

If I was you i'd be searching for a SR20DE which you'll find in the Primera Gt and the Almera Gti.
150 bhp out of the box and the engine will run forever they are bullet proof.

Seen as how old this post is, I'm curious as to what you ended up doing to your Almera. I'm in the process of buying an almera, and it's the new 1.2 L power plant, which sucks to no end. Unfortunately I'm in Thailand, so I can't get a 1.5 L or even the 1.6 L. I have an easy in for importing parts from Japan and I'm definitely interested in doing a SR20DE swap. I don't think I want to go for the turbo as Thailand is ridiculously hot and getting it serviced here is scary. I've heard horror stories, which weren't much different from back in the US. Namely your car goes in and comes back out with things missing...but you'll have gotten the part you wanted installed lol. Hope to hear back.