MKIV alloy and tyre packages

Se7eN

Wrench Pro
Does anyone have any suggestions for alloy wheel packages for the MKIV?

I am currently on the standard 195/65 R15's an the front tyres will have to be replaced shortly and probably the back ones in 6 months costing £328 in total £82 per tyre.

I was looking at replacing the standard 15's with bigger 17's I was looking for a similar style to the BBS LM's except without the 2K price tag. The ones I have seen are 299's from BK Racing which are similar as they are deep dish multispoke alloys.

I am struggling to find a package for under £540, obviously if I can get close to the £400 mark it would not be much more than paying for 4 new tyres on the 15's.

have look around you can get 17" audi replicas for around £450

have a look on ebay etc for someone who is close buy selling a set

i was lucky and got a set of genuine 17" TT alloys that had only been on the car for 3 months for £150 (his girlfriend sold them as she didnt want them ) and another £300 for 3 new tyres ( i only got 1 alloy with a tyre the rest had been taken off for his new ones)

Thanks for the reply.

Decided to hold off for the moment althought I have seen some RS6 18's coming in for around £500 might hold off till feb 09 though. Just tried running the wheels though the insurer and it was a case of

computer says no.

by that time i'll have more than enough cash to hand plus my insurance will change as my risk will be lower according to who ever makes up these rules.

Anyone else have a golf that they have changed the wheels on? don't all raise your hands a once, if so what did you fit and how much did it cost you?

see above (bora and golf are basically the same car )

i would go for genuine alloys over replicas as the replicas are a lot weaker and more prone to splitting / buckling compared to the genuine ones. so you may save money short time by paying £500 for 18" wheels. but do some sums and youll find that on the tyres should cost more than the package.

have alook around on ebay see if you can find a set of 17 / 18"s that have came off another car.

insurance companies can charge a fortune for alloys, when i insured the civic i got quotes for with and without alloys £400 difference for a 15" set that had only cost me £300 ?????????

I know what you mean about the cheap replicas some i've seen actually look discoloured. Although its hard to judge a photo.

The ones ive seen on the TT shop look ok but it will cost more with tyres and fitting etc.

Seems difficult to get an off the shelf package for what I want and what I'm prepared to spend. I saw some OZ racing Superturismo GT's that would look good but £999 for the package.

I suppose I'm moaning about how much these things cost. At the end of the day the old adage "you get what you pay for" holds true. I'll just have to save up the pennys.

also I'm a bit reluctant to buy ones off ebay for various reasons.

sorry when i said ebay i meant look for ones local to you so you could go see them. i didnt mean get ones that have came from 400miles away