Mk3 Golf brakes/gears problems

E

edaresek

Hi guys,

I've got a 95 mk3 1.9TDi, absolutely lovely car. However there are two things that are preventing me from being an entirely happy bunny, and it seems that these issues are popping up in mk3 Golfs everywhere, according to my forum-surfing.

I've looked allover the place for advice and solutions, and only found others who have the same problems, but no answers. I'm hoping there are one or two of you who have gone to work on your mk3 Golfs and can tell me how they solved them.

1) Gearstick/sloppy shifting.

VERY wobbly in the push direction (1st/3rd gear + reverse), while it's not so bad in the pull direction (2nd/4th). It's at the point now where at red lights I can't afford to put her in neutral, because half the time it will get stuck going back into first...

According to other mk3 owners this problem slowly gets worse and worse. Some say they end up selecting reverse when they want first (dangerous at lights!) while others say they can't even get into reverse at all!

Does anybody know what I can do to fix this? You can assume I know what I'm doing with a spanner :) and that I'm not in the mood to pay someone else £300 to do it!

On eBay there are a few mk3 golf 'gearshift repair kits' which claim to repair the worn down bushes below the stick etc... Are these worth it?

2) EXTREMELY spongy brake pedal! It just goes for miles before really applying any real braking force at the wheels.

The other owners whose stories I've read seem to have tried all the usual things (bleeding, new hoses, new drums/discs) but they all report that the problem continues.

One guy said he even replaced the entire brake system down at the wheels and hoses, so the problem must lie somewhere very deeply hidden in the bowels of the beast! brake pedal servo/pump? Bad connections? Any suggestions?

Thanks alot!