<<Mk2 Golf sterio problem>>

NikkyBaby GTi

Wrench Pro
Hay guys,

I recently got my golf a shiny new CD player sub and amp BUT im having problems with installing it as its constently live an there for i cant connect my amp as its draining batteries like there is no 2morrow...

is there any way to install a cut off switch on the permanent live so i dont have to disconect the battery every time i park the car!

Your help would be grate guy,s i dunno if this is just a Golf problem!!

hi there
Its not a volkswagen problem! Is the amp connected to the amp turn on/off of the radio normaly the blue or blue/white cable in the harness? Make sure that this cable is connected to the centre connector of the power connection block it normally says (REM). CHECK FOLLOWING.
Battery state
Altenator
If the amp is switching off when the radio is switched off

Good luck
Johan[/i][/b]

Errm.. okies will have to give this to a friend coz it just went right over my little head lol

my battery aint all that and my altornater is on its way out :(

basicly the headunit has power flowing to it all the tiem and when i connected the amp up the red light on it was constently on unless i disconected it off the battery.

ill sow my mate this and see what he say's

cheers dude x

just a thought did you use blade connectors to conect the cables to the amp.
when a rewired into the bora a forgot to buy new fork connectors for the live and earth so just clamped the wires under the screws a stray wire was touching the remote terminal so mine wasnt going off only noticed after coming off night shift she was a little reluctiant to start. the only other thing that got me was every time the cdplayer came on the subs would give a loud thump. all this because of a strand of wire went astray

edited see post below on wiring

WIRING PROBS

sorry just reread what you had said if the cds on all the time them it will tell the amp to be on as well.

take the cdplayer out and look at the wiring
there should be:

a yellow cable which is bat pos keeps radio settings, equilser time etc

a red one (ignition ) which tells the cd player to come on

both of them should have connectors, usually bullit type, in the middle but still run red to red and yellow to yellow (red one usually has 2 connections, good if your wanting to add neons etc)

swap them over so its going yellow to red and red to yellow see if this solves you problems

Okies thanks guys, ill be doing my sterio this weekend so ill inform you all if the problem has been solved if not im guna throw a proppa wobbler lol lol

:D:D

aye itll be something simple while your at it look at changing your battery with winter coming up if its not all that good as the subs wont do it any favours

i have a mk2 golf, and can tell you what the problem was/is. for some reason most mk2 golfs DO NOT have an ignition live, just a permanent live. so, to make the stereo work the ign live and perm live have to be connected together onto the perm live from the car, hence headunit stays on unless you turn it off manually. the best cure for this is to tap into another live circuit that ISNT permanently on, or to install a switch on the permanent live.

however, having said that, the amp remote wire should be connected to the headunit remote wire, so once the stereo is off, the amp should be too! my kenwood headunit turns the amp off when i turn it off, and most headunits should do the same. id say you.ve connected the amp remote wire to the cars permanent ignition feed.

sorry for long post! lol

Welcome back Pikey, hows the drifting going? Broken any more diffs?

PS the threads on here never die. There are always loads of people reading the old ones;)

hey bud cheers for remembering me! lol the carlton was well and truly killed, got rid of her in january to a bloke who put the engine in a suzuki vitara for drifting!

Back in an old skool mk2 golf now, miss RWD but dont really have the time anymore as far too busy working, and most of its away from home.
well happy with the golf though, the car was a complete bargain, actually ended up paying me! lol

haha yeah would be good eh! car cost me £260, which was £180 for the car,a new spare clutch, and a set of 16" speedline allesio 2's and £80 for the tax disc. sold the alloys for £150, and sold my old car for £300. so after spending £200 on full service and new clutch, i still had change for a full tank of fuel! lol
gotta love it eh! oh, and when i cleaned it out i found a £10 note and £9 in change!! :):)

:( Some people were just born lucky! If that was me I'd have to have paid out £200 for a new clutch, the wheels would be stolen and instead of finding change i'd find a parking fine notice under the windscreen.

Maybe my luck would change if I threw a black cat over my left shoulder!