mk1 Megane 1.4 16v advice

Arutha19

Wrench Pro
Car
2001 Corsa 1.0
Hi guys
I'm new to the forum and I was wondering if anyone can offer me advice in squeezing a bit more out of my 1.4 16v 2002 mk1 Megane.

I inherited it a year ago and I've cleaned up the engine and I've already put an air filter on it and I plan to put 205/35/16s on it in the next couple of weeks to improve the already decent handling.

Can anyone reccomend any fairly low-cost mods or tune-ups I can perform under the bonnet (or elsewhere) to get as much as I can from the engine without modifying its exterior looks or interior much?
I don't want to constantly be pulled over but I'd still like it to be able to shift when I put the boot in. Don't worry, I'm not expecting anything earth-shattering.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

Last edited:
hey and welcome to the site.

other than an engine swap your not going to get much gains.

make sure there is a cold air supply to the airfilter - youll not gain much from it but you will lose hp if your drawing in hot air.
exhaust manifold and sports cat will help the power and torque. cat back as well but stick to a decent tail pipe (ie not a 5" thing) and stick to one that has a resonator / silencer as well. this will keep the noise down.
fast road cam
also look towards remapping - you wont get much, maybe 6-8, but it will be spread across the range

what size are the wheels thats on it the now ? bigger wheels generally weigh more and will decrease your power / weight ratio.

Its got 185/35/16s on it now. I don't want to have to recalibrate my speedo when I put tyres on it so there only getting wider.
What do you think? Is it worth it? My idea was to just get as much rubber on tarmac as possible really without being outrageous. Do you think it would be worth dropping it 30-40mm too?
The air filter is indeed getting cold air, all the tubing is heat-resistant and the filter itself has a heat shield too.
So basically the best I can do is to make sure the car is breathing as well as it can?
And yeah, I agree, the plan wasn't to do the typical scottish-ned-in-a-corsa thing and just whack a massive exhaust on it. I don't want every cop for a mile to know exactly where I am when I rev the engine past 2000rpm, that being said the air-filter sounds good, but only when I floor it, so its not an obvious mod.

I wasn't expecting massive increases anyway =)
Thank you very much for your suggestions.

Last edited:
to be honest youll not get much difference from the tyres, itll raise up slightly as the sidewall will become 72 mm from 65mm and the contact patch will change wider rather than longer.
a subtle drop will improve handling just dont go crazy 35-40mm should be enough. also look at tightening up the rear.
my resonated exhaust sounds near enough normal when cruising but take it up the range and it starts to sound good.

would say with the induction kit, full exhaust, cams and mapped you would be looking at mybe 20bhp increase. the mapping however may make it sound a bit different by changing the fuelling

Ned, now theres a word ive no heard in a while since chav came on the scene :lol: :lol:

Thats pretty much my ideal bhp gain (I actually only expected to get another 10 tops), and the Exhaust sounds like exactly what I'm looking for too! Ideal! Thanks very much =)

The handling is already pretty alright compared to most cars and its only niggly taste-based things really. Maybe too much body roll and the understeer kicks in a bit too early for my taste so really those are the things I'm looking to reduce (or eliminate).
(When you say raise up do you mean that if I was doing 60 the speedo would read 65 for example?)
If you could offer any advice here too that would be very much obliged.

NED is a far more comprehensive term. = )
CHAV implies poorness but I've noticed that NEDs around where I am have began to don Subarus in place of the typical corsa.
Theres really no justice in the world, is there? v.v

Last edited:
reducing body roll can be sorted by lowering slightly and using stiffer springs
understeer - stiffen the rear, not the front, fit a rear anti roll bar or a thicker one in its place if there one already there.
the wheel difference is 2.6% difference so 60 would be 61.56 also remember you speedo will under measure anyway.

Ned and chav to me are the same thing only difference is youll very rarely here ned in enlgand