mk 4 golf 1.8 20v turbo

shaft

Car
mercedes c200
hi there can any one tell me what the best bigger turbo to fit on my car just wont a little extra is is running 236hp with a remap is it hard and expensive to get a extra 100 to 150hp thanks

Hi mate and welcome

hope you gat all the info that is needed.

Here is a little help.

It depends on what kind of a budget you are on

Parts can be sourced at reasonable price but you will need to change internal components as the standard internals are only good for 300-350 bhp

Getting it bored will also help

hope this helps in some way
Audi98

well lets face it who wonts to spend alot lol ok thanks so what wud u recomend then if wonted to make it that iv just bought the car and it has a dyno fitted in the car and it gos to 236 hp at the mo and think it has only had the remap thanks

Hello and welcome to the site mate

what engine ? there are quite a few 1.8t varients from 150 up to 240 in standard tune

what dyno if thats just got a remap on it, 236 is starting to get near of the common turbo used on them and requires alot more work that just a remap, things you would hear and see

to get 350 isnt hard but can be expensive depending on what you class as expensive.
doing it yourself will take a while unless you can buy the parts off someone who has givin up
going through a tuning company your looking at around £3.5k

but really what is the point ? the mk4 golf is a barge on wheels and FWD. trying to get 350bhp down isnt easy through the front unless youve spent money on
a) tyres
b) the clutch, DMF, and diff
uprated clutch and DMF is just over £1k for parts
diff is about the same
then fitting if your not doing it yourself

so you could quite easily have spend £6.5k, allowing for some other things, to get a 350bhp FWD car.
if your wanting to go faster but keep the 1.8 engine then look to swapping to a audi S3. about 90% the same as your car however has haldex 4 wheel drive and comes with 225 to start with. a remap on this will take you to around 260-270 bhp and if you start looking into hybrid turbos then 300
the 4 motion chasis is also apparently handles alot better than the FWD version shame VW only used it in the V6 models

wow ok lol well just bought this car thort it was ok like mayb just leave it then the dyno is in the car tells u all sorts of stuf the engine doing which i dont understand only had quick play with it up to now it sits in the air vent at the drivers side and seen it hit 240 today but was bit pissed of and throttling the poor car lol

so what wud just a bigger turbo do for me then just as little extra and what wud the price b for that thanks again

sounds like a liquid gauge. this reads your airflow meter (MAF) and converts it to estimated power. i think it may need a bit of a clean if your seeing that power.

a bigger turbo on its own is near enough impossible as intake and exhaust modifications, along with intercooler would need to be changed.
the only way you could go "bigger" would be to get your turbo hybridised, round about £700. this would bore out your turbine and compressor and fit larger wheels. you would need to have a custom remap after this however so add another £3-500 depending on where you go.

you could fit the larger K04 turbo from the 210-240 versions of the engine but you need to modify the exhaust and fit the intake pipe work from said engine so this costs as well - and again another remap.

Me personally mate would go hybrid I believe it will cost you less in the long run but I full agree with what PGARNER has stated it will still cost.

Thanks
Audi98