Misfiring A3 1.8t (hole in crank case breather hose)

grantwhite

Wrench Pro
Car
a3 1.8t quattro s
Hi,

My a3 started misfiring the other day, i put it on vagcom and it says on cylinders 1, 2 and 3, i took the engine cover off and noticed that the crank case breather hose has a big hole in it. Does anybody think this is the cause of my misfiring or do u think this has lead to other problems as i don't know how long the hose has been broken.

Any input would be great cheers

Grant

could well be. are you on about the Y peice on the right hand side of the engine ? theres quite a few breather hoses on the engine.

what engine codes it ? does it have an ignition amplifier, these were fitted to the side of the airbox on earlier models, if so it might be goosed.
very strange for 3 coils to go togeather but if they have then i suggest getting these from awesome gti
http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/product.php?xProd=27520&xSec=75
£84 for the 4 compared to around £30 each from the dealer, and genuine VAG part

cheers for the reply, i think my engine code is ARY, i don't think the coils packs are gone because if the vehicle is in neutral then there is no misfire but when i start moving then it starts. not sure if it has an amp and not sure where it would be on mine its a 2002 a3. The hose that has gone is the Y hose on the right of the engine, when u take the engine cover off you can see it.

hi

i sorted the problem on the weekend, fitted a silicone replacement hose, changed the plugs and all coil packs and all the misfiring has gone, i have kept the coil packs as spare as i don't think they had gone but i liked the red ones on awesome so got them.

cheers for your help

hi

i sorted the problem on the weekend, fitted a silicone replacement hose, changed the plugs and all coil packs and all the misfiring has gone, i have kept the coil packs as spare as i don't think they had gone but i liked the red ones on awesome so got them.

cheers for your help

Marvellous news! Well done that man ;)

they do look better, should also have recommened the hold down kit as well as it saves them poping up when driving.

always a good idea to keep a couple of the coil packs as spares in the boot.
could you give me the part number off the red coilpacks please ? i meant to try and find out what they had came from but forgot before i lost my car

they do look better, should also have recommened the hold down kit as well as it saves them poping up when driving.

always a good idea to keep a couple of the coil packs as spares in the boot.
could you give me the part number off the red coilpacks please ? i meant to try and find out what they had came from but forgot before i lost my car

I think i may get the hold down brackets cylinder one was raised when i first had the problem. sorry only now seen your replays pgarner, i could have got the part no for you.

nah after replying asking for it i thought i had taken some pictures of them in my thread before fitting and just managed to make them out.

let me guess it was the 2nd cylinder that was popping out ;)

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back