Mirrors pointing at the ground

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I've noticed that a lot of bad/inexperienced drivers have their nearside mirror angled down quite sharply!

I guess it is so they can see where the kerb is when they park.

If insurance companies inspected cars with downward mirrors they would instantly be able to hike the premiums of the dangerous or higer risk drivers and leave the rest of our premiums at a lower level.

Do you think my theory hold true?

I've noticed that a lot of bad/inexperienced drivers have their nearside mirror angled down quite sharply!

I guess it is so they can see where the kerb is when they park.

If insurance companies inspected cars with downward mirrors they would instantly be able to hike the premiums of the dangerous or higer risk drivers and leave the rest of our premiums at a lower level.

Do you think my theory hold true?

It does seem the more nervous or careless drivers do have mirrors more pointed down. I think your theory is more fact then fiction to be honest.

I always adjust NS mirror down to park. But shift it up again to drive.

Which is exactly what I do! My wheels are very expensive and I detest any kind of marks on them. I am actually on my 3rd electric door mirror switch, it does get used rather a lot :embarrest:

:) my Leons n/s mirror automatically lowers so you can see the kerb when reverse is selected and goes back when I take it back out of reverse it's a nice feature and I'm surprised alot more cars don't offer this feature!

Very clever! I have a tennis ball on a stick and string for when I'm parking!

not really!

yeah - I've seen the mirrors that drop automatically when reverse is selected.

Good idea.

Dead cheap to incorporate. Innovation at its best.

I am neurotic about rims and tyre sidewalls.

Same here Paul, my wheels cost a fortune and would be extremely difficult to replace now like for like. I never kerb the wheel but I do get the odd scuff mark if I hit a pothole due to the very low tyre profile; this is however repaired within 48 hours as I have a very good customer relationship with the smart repair company :)

Given up with how the Golf looks. Thankfully she doesn't drive much these days.

Think yourself lucky then Andy. In the old days her indoors would drive the beast but the kerbs were like a magnet to her.
I let the first accident go but I insisted she paid for the next minor skirmish, it's amazing how careful they are if their purse has to open for repairs and not my wallet :)

I see many driving with them still folded in! My Disco has the automatic dipping when reverse is selected, ideal for parking bays as the lines are a long way down in that thing!