Mini Sprite first post

Car
Mini Sprite
Hello from newbie

I have just bought a 1994 carburettor Mini Sprite with just 10,000 miles from new, so far so good.

She has a constant lumpyness when on the move and for a 1275 lacking in go, my brother who I got her from put new plugs / leads / ditsy cap and rotor arm to try and fit but no joy.

She has the dissy with electronic ign and the vacuum pipes that go to the thermostat housing and T off to the carb.

When I got he MOT,d the guy said she was running weak on emissions.

I am thinking mixture on carb or auto advance in dissy stuck but I haven't had a mini for 30 years so any advise/ideas very welcome.

Thanks
Michael

Greetings and a Warm Welcome to our TorqueCars Forum my Friend! :)

I am unable to help you with your question directly, but hopefully somebody can point you in the right direction for the knowledge that you seek!

Good luck buddy! :)

Welcome to TorqueCars :bigsmile:

Sounds like a great buy. I would strip the carb and clean it, check the needle valve and seat for wear plus the spring. Check the dashpot. Also check the float chamber and height level, there may be crap causing a blockage. Air filters are a funny thing on these engines and due to the location some aftermarket ones do not do the breathing any favours. When was the fuel system last serviced? Age may have got to the tank and plumbing drawing in particles, check the fuel filter as well.

Welcome to TorqueCars :bigsmile:

Sounds like a great buy. I would strip the carb and clean it, check the needle valve and seat for wear plus the spring. Check the dashpot. Also check the float chamber and height level, there may be crap causing a blockage. Air filters are a funny thing on these engines and due to the location some aftermarket ones do not do the breathing any favours. When was the fuel system last serviced? Age may have got to the tank and plumbing drawing in particles, check the fuel filter as well.

Hi Thanks for info, I can't find a fuel filter on her, any idea where it maybe located on a carburettor car?
Michael

Hi Thanks for info, I can't find a fuel filter on her, any idea where it maybe located on a carburettor car?
Michael

There should be one in-line on the fuel line in the engine bay, trace the fuel line back from the carb.

I suspect the fuel system is contaminated due to age and not much use.

Hi Guys

She is now running like a new car and surprising nimble with a 1275cc, the fault was an air leak on a vacuum pipe.

Thanks for the above advise
Michael