Mini or?

dpsubaru

The Torque Meister
Car
Subaru WRX Turbo 04
My little sister is in the market for a new (well 2nd hand) car, she wants a Mini Cooper but think that once the reality hits of the price that she is going to change her mind.
Shes look for something thats max the size of a mini with ok performance, any suggestions welcome - budget max GPB5k and she doesnt want to buy something off ebay (more because muggins here doesnt want o come back from VN and spend two weeks driving all over the country looking at lemons). (also she needs the financing from buying from a dealer).
Any thoughts on alternatives?

What about the Austin Mini - assuming you're referring to the classic Mini Cooper here, the Austin uses the same body, but come in around £1,500

the Twingos are nice looking little cars, quite nippy aswell

minis are nice but they are just everywhere, i can see 3 just looking out of front door.

no boot space in them and personally i think they are more of an expensive fashion statement to 99% of the people who have them (not saying your sister would be one of those people though :))

you can pick a 2008 twingo up trade with under 8k on the clock for about 4k
there a couple on autotrader at the min

2009 models are about 6k

Is this a new mini or the classic?

What about a Yaris 1.3 - very nippy and nice drive. Then there is the IQ - bit smaller but good fun and very economical.

Thanks all for the feedback - Twingo, ummm.... dont mean to be rude but 2f2c were you drinking last night?
Suzuki Swift, but needs to be the sporty one, shes got 10yrs ncb so insurance etc shouldnt be an issue.
Yaris, might have a look at this but think the Suzuki is winning at the moment.

older micras too old. shes 27 so insurance is not really an issue. just need something nippy without be ing too expensive but really need at least from the early 2000's so can avoid doing any work on it (as it will be me that ends up doing it)

Suzuki Swift Sport or a Panda 100HP both get great reviews for their handling, nippy performance & value for money. The new Ford Fiesta Zetec S has also had good reports. :bigsmile:

Seat Arosa - my other sisters got a 1.0L - 70mph is a challenge to say the least, 71mph is impossible as are hills - she isnt going to go for this,

Lupo GTi - interesting, although based on Loz's comments could be difficult.

OOH I forgot that one, the Sport Ka is a cracking little warm hatch but comes a (very) close second to the Panda 100HP which is till the one I'd go for. :bigsmile: