mildly modified 850 T5R Rattle

XxXMAXIMUSXxX

Car
Volvo 850 T5-R
I have a 96 850 T5R which I have been mildly modifying over the past year ie larger injectors, larger brake discs, carbon airfilter, larger turbocharger TD05-16 S60R exhaust manifold

Problem is one of the silicone pipes blew off the turbo compressor and now my engine has a rattle sounding like an injector rattling. Garage says it's more likely to be a stuck lifter as they're hydraulic as the engine isn't down on power nor is it running unevenly or lumpy. Compression test results came in fairly good bore 1-4 @10 Bar bore 5 where the tap is came out at 9.5 Bar for an engine with 250.000 miles on it and counting thats supposedly not bad.

Max

I presume you've done the obvious things, secured engine covers/mounts etc...

I wonder if the turbo pipe coming off was just a conicidence or if that has knocked something. If the rattle was coming from the turbo then I'd worry that I'd need a new/recon turbo unit.

Sadly I'm scratching my head on this one for you and not coming up with anything. I fear you may have to get the head off and check it manually. It's probably due for a major overhaul anyway.;)

Had a look on You Tube and found clips sounding really close to my rattle. Other english forums have had similar questions all saying it's the rods bending.

When I get a spare week the head will come off just to make sure : How will I know if some serious damage is done ?

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back