Mid 90s Honda Civic LSi

Twamgl3

Road Burner
Car
Mitsubishi Carisma
Having been relegated to my stalwart (yet boring and uncomfortable) Ford Fiesta yet again, I thought it might be an idea to get a 1995 (or thereabouts) Honda Civic Coupe.

There seem to be quite a few LSis about, but I don't really know much about these.

What's the best UKDM Civic Coupe of this vintage?

What sort of power/performance figures lie in the LSi or other versions of this model Civic?

I don't mind adding a few go-faster bits, like cams/ air filter but I don't really want to look at forced aspiration... yet. Are these sorts of parts readily available? What sort of power/torque figures can you get these up to?

Think reliable fast road car rather than body-kitted horror or stripped out racing car!

the Lsi uses the D series engine with around 105-110 bhp from the 1590
have a look around for a Vti which uses the B16 engine a whopping 5cc bigger, 1595cc, but gives 160.

look at princes coupe thats the Lsi

My Coupe isn't an LSi mate. The LSi is a 5th generation coupe/hatchback. The stats above are correct though.

If you are set on a coupe (which are better looking imo) then go for either a 5th generation (remember the Civics used in The Fast and The Furious with the green neons?) or a 6th generation. The 5th generation runs from 1992-1995 and the 6th generation runs from 1996-2000. If you go for a 5th gen, then get a 1995 version as they come with upgraded trims, if you go for a 6th gen then go for either a 1999/2000 as these were facelifted and look better than the non-facelifted versions.

Finding a VTi version can be very hard now as they have usually been snapped up. Failing that an engine conversion can easily be done in the future.

As for power and torque... Power figures can rise dramatically if you have deep pockets. If not, a B16 (as found in the VTi) can be tuned to around 200bhp. However, torque figures are rather low. Honda engines need to be revved high to get the best out of them (I don't shift gears until around 5/6000 rpm).

Any other questions feel free to ask!

Yes, I was after a 5th Gen - is that an EP2?

I've seen lots of good looking 5th Gen LSi Coupes going recently.

There was one with a year's MoT with standard engine, nice after market wheels and a tasteful bodykit that went for £800 on e-Bay.

I'm trying to get a £1,000 together and get the best one I can find.

I was thinking about driving that about for a bit and then chucking in a B16A2 as and when I had the money. I'm not sure how much the engine conversion would cost me in terms of insurance, but its getting to the point where I can afford such silliness. Insurance-wise, at least!

How easy is the conversion - I've read about a few 5th Gens with the conversion done. If, as and when I'll be doing most of the work with little or no professional help, and probably on my drive, unless I can talk father-in-law into some workshop time!

Also, does the VTEC have issue being turbocharged or supercharged?

I've finally secured a 5th gen Civic Coupe. It cost more than I would have liked to pay, but there you go. I'm picking it up on Saturday.

My insurance company told me it was £800 pro rata so I've got to pay £100 for the six weeks of the policy! At that point (knock on wood) I'll have four years no claims so if they can't beat £400 for fully comp, business class 1, courtesy car, windscreen insurance and protected NCB they'll find themselves bereft of my custom.

Last edited:
Post up some pics for us. Sounds like you are back in action my friend! ;)

Which engine does it have? Will you be doing much to it?

I'll get some photos at the weekend if I have time. There's a patch on the bumper that's scratched but beyond that I would say it was a good example considering the mileage (110k) and year (1995).

It's a black LSi 1.5l. It says 16v on the cam cover - it's got the factory standard Honda 6 spoke alloys but no other add ons - even has windy windows instead of electric but its the best example I've seen in ages and now its mine!

I'm thinking about getting the wheels powder coated (white) and that's about it for now.

I'll try and take care of it and see how long it lasts - I'd love to see an H22A in it one day, and all the other necessary bits to go with it.

I think I might draw the line at green neons underneath though! ;)

I always used to put red alloys on all my brother's cars in Gran Turismo, I think white would be better in the real world!

As promised I've uploaded a handful of snaps to my profile.

Note in the photos the lack of 'spoiler' or 'wing'. My wife says spoilers are called spoilers because they spoil the look of the car. I'm not so sure.

Is it a mindless waste of money or a statement of intention? More importantly will I need to tell the insurance company if I fit an OEM part for this trim level which wasn't done at the factory?

I'm in two minds about it - bet I know what OG would say!!

Last edited:
Loving the car dude, looks very nice. I kinda like those honda wheels too.

Got any piccies of the engine?

More pictures to come, including the front end (which I will say is a design classic, although I am biased!), and of course the engine. Try and get some snaps of the interior whilst its nice and clean!

Yet to find out who manufactured the alloys. My brother's Mazda 323F has factory fitted alloys, and I think they were made by Enkei (and the suspension was by Bilstein).

As promised I've uploaded a handful of snaps to my profile.

Note in the photos the lack of 'spoiler' or 'wing'. My wife says spoilers are called spoilers because they spoil the look of the car. I'm not so sure.

Is it a mindless waste of money or a statement of intention? More importantly will I need to tell the insurance company if I fit an OEM part for this trim level which wasn't done at the factory?

I'm in two minds about it - bet I know what OG would say!!

wife calls them the same for the exact same reason.
they are spoliers because they spoil the air stream over the car. its your choice to fit it or not.

mmmm yes you need to tell them, however if its an opptional extra that could have came form the factory they might be more lenient

Loving the car dude, looks very nice. I kinda like those honda wheels too.

Got any piccies of the engine?

Added some more photos. There's one of the engine in there.

Had a look at your profile - have you got any pics of yours? My Mrs nearly bought one a few years back but couldn't afford the insurance.

Last edited:
the Lsi uses the D series engine with around 105-110 bhp from the 1590
have a look around for a Vti which uses the B16 engine a whopping 5cc bigger, 1595cc, but gives 160.

look at princes coupe thats the Lsi
yes, plus because its a vti, you can put a dohc vtec straight into it, the wire loom and ecu are the same, kind of like plug out plug in, away you go