Mercedes W210 E300D 1996 MY. EDP problems

indiaman

Track Warrior
Car
Tata Marina diesel
I will be thankful if any of you with experience on the Electronically controlled Bosch type PES inline Fuel injection pump, as fitted on a Mercedes W210 series with E 300 D NA OM 606 engine, would advise me on the conversion of this pump to manual operation, a lot of owners in Finland and those using vegetable oil as fuel, seem to prefer the mechanical Bosch pump as fitted to the earlier OM 603 engines.
However , I wish to retain the existing pump if possible, with a simple conversion, if feasible. Any advice would be welcome.

I will be thankful if any of you with experience on the Electronically controlled Bosch type PES inline Fuel injection pump, as fitted on a Mercedes W210 series with E 300 D NA OM 606 engine, would advise me on the conversion of this pump to manual operation, a lot of owners in Finland and those using vegetable oil as fuel, seem to prefer the mechanical Bosch pump as fitted to the earlier OM 603 engines.
However , I wish to retain the existing pump if possible, with a simple conversion, if feasible. Any advice would be welcome.

I'm not an expert on this stuff but I understand from various sources that an inline pump is better than a rotary pump when vegetable oil derived fuel is used.

I think that the problem lies mostly with the seals; specifically the rubber compounds from which they are made. Vegetable oil can corrode certain types of rubber.

Are you planning to use virgin SVO, WVO filtered or to process (transesterification is the name this process is given) the stuff using a mechanical and chemical process to make legitimate bio-diesel.

One other problem with SVO and WVO is its viscosity. In certain regions it's necessary to fit a two tank system. Pump diesel to start the engine. Switch to bio when up to temperature. And switch back to pump (mineral) diesel before shutdown to flush bio from the system.

The SVO tank has a heater loop from the cooling system running through it to heat and therefore 'thin' the SVO/WVO. This may not be necessary in India.

It's also wise to check with government authorities for your area for any road fuel duty which might become payable.

Last edited:
Thanks HDi fun, but my sole reason for modifying the existing pump is not for a conversion to bio diesel, I just do not like the existing computer controlled pump, and when I looked at a similar OM 606 NA engine as fitted to an earlier 124 model, I noticed that it had a similar PES inline Bosch but with manual controls, whereas the one on the W210 is an EDP "fly by wire"
type. This pump is almost similar to the one on the 124 except that the fuel rack is controlled by the computer, there is no literature available for this here, nor has dredging the internet yielded any info on possible mods to this pump.
If anyone could send me a detailed schematic of the rack control system, I could request one of my friends who are electronic experts, to maybe fabricate a system that bypasses the existing unreliable set up.

Thanks HDi fun, but my sole reason for modifying the existing pump is not for a conversion to bio diesel, I just do not like the existing computer controlled pump, and when I looked at a similar OM 606 NA engine as fitted to an earlier 124 model, I noticed that it had a similar PES inline Bosch but with manual controls, whereas the one on the W210 is an EDP "fly by wire"
type. This pump is almost similar to the one on the 124 except that the fuel rack is controlled by the computer, there is no literature available for this here, nor has dredging the internet yielded any info on possible mods to this pump.
If anyone could send me a detailed schematic of the rack control system, I could request one of my friends who are electronic experts, to maybe fabricate a system that bypasses the existing unreliable set up.

This electronically controlled mechanical injection reminds me of the stepper motors and other such things which were used in Rover's SU carb fed petrol engines. Sort of a halfway house to fully managed injection. They, too, could be unreliable.

Is your car turbocharged? If so, then maybe it relies upon the electronic control for boost/fuel compensation.

I just did some digging, OM606 engine's (your engine) will run fine on veg oil

Any Merc that is:
a) A diesel (you'd be surprised!) and
b) DOESN'T say CDI on the back
will be fine on Veggie.

Hi Jarrus
Firstly, this is my first post on the forum, thanks for having me here.
I realise this is an old thread, but was wondering if you can remember where you got the info that if I've got an E300TD (i.e. non CDI) it will be fine on veggie?
Many thanks
Mark