Mercedes reliability

I bought mine used from MB of West Chester, PA, about a year ago. As of a few months ago I'm looking at worn sway bar links, worn front wheel bearings, a broken spring, a leaking differential seal (clogged vent), and a couple dead glow plugs. My poor aching wallet...

It was about 118k when I bought it; it's still under 120k since I don't drive a whole lot, but not a new car by any stretch of the imagination. One of the big reasons I settled on it was that diesels, and especially MB diesels from my research, pretty well last forever as long as they're maintained properly. But I got a comment fairly recently that Benzes are supposedly somewhat money pits once they reach about 100k. Guess I'll be finding out. :)

Why not swap engine for a more common car like a toyota? If the Merc has don over 100K on the odo, it will start draining ya wallet. u can avoid this by simply swapping engines if u like the star good. After all many vehicles like Range Rover, dont have a Range Rover plant under the bonnet. Its becoming a common thing. Even in a country like East Africa, such swapping are a common thing. How much mo in developed countries?

Merc is reliable especially the way it handles. But engines don play the best part. we got the world's number one car company, Toyota. It has a variety of very good n verry common engines that compete with the bigger marques. 1G-FE, 1G-GE, etc., esp ifur pocket is average and u nd a common 2 litre engine ...but with the star on the body.

Why not swap engine for a more common car like a toyota? If the Merc has don over 100K on the odo, it will start draining ya wallet. u can avoid this by simply swapping engines if u like the star good. After all many vehicles like Range Rover, dont have a Range Rover plant under the bonnet. Its becoming a common thing. Even in a country like East Africa, such swapping are a common thing. How much mo in developed countries?

Greetings and Welcome! ;)

Mercedes is a reliable machine esp its handling. But an old 20 year Merc handles good too, but the engine maintenance costs start to escalate at 110k miles. I think its ok to swap engines+autobox with a common strong Toyota 1G-FE engine+autobox, for example..as this is a common engine, cheap and has good pulling power and reliable too. I owned a Toyota Mark II 1991 model and i never had engine or gearbor problems till i sold it because of rusty and rotting body. Merc body is strong at 21 years. Swapping these will earn newly leased years with the super handling Star.

hi all, well i have a 52plate, C270 CDI, ive had it 5 years and it had 23k on the clock when i got it. it now has 96k and ive had a gear box sensor play up at a cost £250, 2 injectors playing up cost £400, other than that ive had track rod ends etc replace to the front end in the last 12 month, but i do have a set of 19inc brabus rims on it. 35mm tyres dont have much give in them! all in all i think mines been a good 1. ive just serviced it and found a damaged turbo pipe, which cost 37 notes from MB Derby, took me 2 min to fit, new oil= 80 but got 3litres left, new filter=12 and its as sweet as the day i got it, aprt from the scratches and stone chips its gained over the last 5 years. fingers crossed it dont go down hill from 100-110k! lol