Mercedes C220

frosty984

Wrench Pro
Car
Yaris 1.0 VVT-i
Tuning Mercedes C220

What could i do to upgrade this cars performance? It's a 2155cc, 16v diesel, 95 hp. Acceleration is a bit slow because the car is pretty heavy, 1400 kg. Should I put a cold air intake induction kit, turbocharge the car, or anything else?

Last edited:
The only thing that's going to bring significant improvements is turbocharging but you're going to need to mssively modify the engine internals for this.

Turbocharging a non-turbo car is a huge problem...seems that i will go only for sound and exterior, which exhaust system do you recommend and will a cold air intake kit cause any difference on sound and will it affect performance?

I really don't know. What are you trying to achieve? You really are not going to see any performance increase. A differrent muffler, resonator combination will make it sound different, almost certainly louder.

I am out of my depth with this to be honest. Try putting this into the General forum - there are people there who have more knowledge than me.

Good luck, and incidentally, a warm welcome to Torque Cars.

Best regards,

Paul.

the only real difference between a full line to just a muffler is potentialy a larger inside diameter. this normaly done to let the increased volume of exhaust gases out. you wont have any major increase in volume so a full line wont benifit you realy. a stainless steel line is always an asset to any car even if it doesnt increase the performance. if your looking for a noise just install a back box but if your looking for performance go for the full line.

now a coulpe of things to take into consideration when your choosing your new exhaust...
1) figure out if your going to turbo the car, if so get a pipe half inch larger than standard ie strd 2.5in go for a 3in line,
2) if your NOT going down the charged path leave the diameter well alone. if its too big itl mess up mgp, its all to do with scavaging (different thread).
3) if the car requires a cat put one in, there plenty of sports cats out there, well worth it.
4) never put a smaller diameter muffler on. itl restrict the flow of the exhausts and put all sorts of stresses on things that arent ment to be under any more stress than they are already.
5) if your not doing big miles, under 8k a year, go for the cheap exhaustman in town, more than 8k a year go for the stainless line. pays dividends believe me.

good luck with your exhaust choices.

Last edited:
Im not going to charge the car so... I usually do about 11k miles a year. Thank you a lot, this is very useful information to me. Here is the situation: my Lucas fuel pump broke down and it cannot be repaired and a used one (new one is not in production anymore) will cost me about 1300£, i dont know what should i do now, what will be more cost-effective, replacing a diffrent engine, i would go for a C200 kompressor (141kW i think) or replacing the fuel pump on the current engine. Current engine has about 287000 km(178k miles).

Last edited:
second hand pump is £1300??? thats funny money figures man!!! does the c200 fit straight in? if not id seriously be thinking on packing it in on that car. a second hand pump might have as many miles as yours on it and that could calf as quick as not! do any other cars use the same pump? is she an inline six?

Yes, with installing and work about 1300£. I only know that this year of mercedes diesels use that lucas pump, its a good pump, and engine is running great on that pump, but it is not made for repairing and a new one is very expensive. I dont know do other engines fit straight in. I was thinking about C220 CDI, its about same size as the C220 diesel, a 2.2 litre engine just the CDI is turbo charged and with a good remap i beleive i will get pretty lot of torque. I personally think that a better choice would be the CDI. What your opinion on this? And yes, a little stupid question, whats rhe difference between chip tuning and remapping?

Last edited:
chipping is just connecting a box of tricks to the brain. they are genraly not very good because all they do is trick the brain into reading different signals than it actualy is reading. they make the pump inject more diesel, somtimes by tricking the brain into thinking theres more oxygen so it can inject more disel.
remapping is a far prefferd method. it basicly a custom resetting of the brain to increased levels. car goes on the rolling road and is set up from there. completly custom to a specific car.
as for putting in a cdi engine, theres probably alot of wiring to change over. this i know nothing about. its a daunting task even for the professionals so id think long and hard before id take on that challange.
goodluck sir, keep er lite!

What do you mean, a lot of wiring? If it is such a big problem about puting the cdi engine then id rather put that 2.0 kompressor, i think that is a pretty good engine.

Last edited:
Are engine transplants out of the question?

W202 Mercedes is a brilliant base for engine transplants.... best engines are...

OM605 from the W202 C250TD or W124 E250TD (and other mercs i'm sure)

OM606 from the W124 E300TD and other bigger mercs and the one I would go for...

Then there are otheres like the OM 602 and 603...

500hp from a stock block OM606 isn't uncommon in Finland...