Torque Cars

Mercedes c180 acceleration difficulty

Discussion in 'Mercedes Forums' started by Gregv2701, 5 January 2013.

1. Gregv2701

Gregv2701 Newbie

Wiltshire, UK
    Car:
    C180 esprit 1.8
    Hi all,

Brand new here, and new to the world of Mercedes!

Jut purchased a 1997 Mercedes C180 Esprit. Sales went well etc and car seemed to run well.

I've taken it in a few drives and have noticed a few things that I'm begging you fabulous experts can help me with:

1. Interior blower stays on when the dial is on 0 and even when the keys are out! Any ideas?

2. The Car accelerates well in 1st/2nd gear, but when going in to 3rd gear she seems sluggish, jumpy and not wanting to pull off too well (can be rather embarrassing on roundabouts!) There is an awful noise from the bottom of the engine which may be a backfire/misfire but sounds almost like a flap opening/closing or 2 bits of metal hitting each other.

Have put redex in the petrol tank and down the carburettor, but nothing!

Sorry for the essay, but I'm totally lost.

Any and all ideas are most welcomed .

Thank you all so much for reading!

Greg

2. T9 man

T9 man TC Pro Founder Moderator

London, UK
    Car:
    Saab 9-3SS T9
    Greetings and a Warm Welcome to our TorqueCars Forum my Friend! :)

I am unable to help you with your question directly, but hopefully somebody can point you in the right direction for the knowledge that you seek!

Good luck buddy! :)

3. boyan

boyan Wrench Pro

High Wycombe Bucks uk
    Car:
    jaguar xjr 4.0 A
    Hi and welcome i got c class to and had many others , to cut this short
    no.1 you need another heater control unit £50.00 ebay maybe
    no.2 air flow meter has a habit of giving exact symptoms as you described
    i have changed lots,

also catalisators do block up on this, as well as the automatic gearbox valve blocks do fail on over 100.000 miles and then not changing gears as they should...i've also seen people changing automatic gear boxes when there's nothing wrong with them in a first place as a wrong diagnostic to begin with
    regards boyan

4. shagydeep

shagydeep New member

USA,texas
    Car:
    Audi
    Hello,
    Welcome to torquecars,
    I understand your problem i think there must be problem in carburetor of car or gear problem, better you show to the mechanic…

5. claymore

claymore The Torque Meister

Shrewsbury
    Car:
    T-10k,
    A 1997 car will not have a carburator, the idea of this forum is to give help and not just tell someone to take the car to a mechanic.

6. davalav

davalav Moderator

Essex, England
    Car:
    Mini Cooper S R56
    Wish people would put a little more effort into punctuation as well.