Megane GT

RomanCandle

Car
Renault Megane GT
Hi all

I am trying to ascertain whether the clutch on this model is the same as that on the Megane R26/ F1 etc

If so then any power upgrade via a mapp should have no consequential effect on the clutch (within reason of course) but if not, a significant increase of say from 120 Kw to 150 Kw may have a detrimental effect on the clutch.

Would anyone have any facts relating to this please?

L

It's only diesel engines which can really savage clutches. The torque at the flywheel is enormous compared to petrol engines.

So long as you're not taking off on full throttle and side-stepping the clutch I doubt you'll have a problem with the standard item.

30kw is around 25 bhp so not really a huge gain, its more the torque that does the damage

Thanks for you replies on my question!

Just a quick respectful correction: 30 Kw = slightly over 40 Bhp. Converting Kw to Bhp multiply by 1.351 and vice versa.

I'm not too sure of the exact power and torque figures although both seem to have increased rather significantly. The previous owner had clearly cooked the clutch by 34 000 Km (+/- 21000 M) so I've had it replaced last week but still experience some clutch judder in first gear on pull-off right at the top of the pedal travel.

Thanks again!

He probably cooked the clutch with bad driving technique.

When the clutch was changed did they do the release spring and all the other bits or just the clutch plate?

He probably cooked the clutch with bad driving technique.

When the clutch was changed did they do the release spring and all the other bits or just the clutch plate?

Agreed on the previous driver issue!

Thanks! I am not sure what was changed. I assume that everything was changed as I believe that the clutch comes as a kit with all parts, but then we all know how assumption normally works out.

I will have the convesrsation with them and see because it still does not feel right.

Thanks again!