megane 1.6 dynamique "tuning"

nickelarse

hi guys, my names nick and im new here

i bought a shiny megane 1.6 dynamique last week, and so far am very pleased!! what i would like though is a bit of uumph. so what i was wondering is whats the best way of "tuning" the engine to make it a bit nippier? have a limited budget, and limited knowledge of megane engine bay (so far)

(apologese if this question has been asked a thousand times, just new to all this)

cheers

nick

Hi Nick and welcome to TorqueCars. Don't every worry about asking "the same question" because things frequently change in the car world!

A lot of the tuning will depend on how much you want to spend. A fast road cam would certainly lift the power. It would be worth getting a sports exhaust and panel air filter to increase the engines breathing but this is only going to give you a few more horsies to play with.

An engine swap will give the biggest power gain so perhaps you should focus on the handling. Then later on when you have had the car for a while think about doing an engine swap.

cheers guys for the help.

any pointers as to where i can find specific megane info on modifying? as yet i just do not know what to look for and where to look. idealy i would like to keep it looking as standard as possilble, no silly body kits, ridiculous alloys and massive exhausts. ive been thinking about adapting the original engine as much as possible and just getting the best performance out of it.

what i was thinking was getting a new exhaust system, and a megane gt rear bumper. are there any manufacturers of megane specific "racing" exhausts, that would fit a megane gt bumper? then think about handling, stiffer springs, lowering a bit.

as for the car, i really like it, its a really nice drive, beats my old car by a mile (peugeot 106 1.1 independence!!). the only niggle with it is its a bit sluggish, partculrly at low revs in gears 3,4 and 5. thats what i would like to improve

hmm i'm also interested as i'm maybe picking one of these on a 54 plate but being almost 19 (few weeks away) the insurance is sooo cheap it's unreal, i'd pay 100 pound less on my insurance for a 1996 1.4 megane than this 54 plate 3 door in black. Just got to wait for loan to come through, but was thinking of having a stainless power flow backbox on it like i have on my megi atm as a local garage custom makes those for your car.

Welcome to TorqueCars overdose.

The 1.6 should appreciate a better flowing sports exhaust, I would put in a panel air filter, drill out the airbox and smooth the inside of the air box. Then I would put on an FSE fuel boost valve for good measure. (All these mods need to be declared to your insurers though which may well push up the cost:()

hi, thanks for the welcome, Could you explain a little more on smoothing out the air box? tried to google search but with no luck. Is their anything in particular to look out for on the meganes when looking at one? (apart from hpi check of corse.)as i've got my heart set on a couple but being 18 £5000 is quite a bit of money .

If you buy from a garage then get a warantee, if you are buying privately then I would recommend a full inspection service from AA or RAC. I had one done and they were so picky that I got some money knocked off and a free service thrown in. He said the exhaust was probably on it's way out - that was 2005 and it is still going strong.

Always check the engine for oil leaks and the exhaust for smoke (blue or dark indicates a problem.)

Hi there mate, im also new to torque. I also own a 1.6 dynamique and the best way to get an improvement from the engine is to do the folowing. Fast road cams, omex ecu, decat pipe, straight through exhaust, power boost valve and you'd be pushing about 180 bhp if the car is set up right. This you could have done for about 2k and set up by a place called k-tec. But with that much power, your guna need to upgrade the brakes, susspension etc etc and a standard clutch could hold it, if its in good nick. Hope this helps, but if your looking on a low budget i think straight through exhaust, air filter should be ok.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aye, agree with the above, k-tec have loads of stuff for the megane, all the things you're looking for really, exhausts, air filters, suspension, aswell as things like lighting and bodywork. They have a RS dci that they work on fitted with a RS Clio look-a-like rear bumper (with diffuser) that looks really nice...

...and no i'm not getting paid for this :p