McLaren F1 vs Bugatti Veyron

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
In a straight line 1 mile drag race between the McLaren F1 and Bugatti Veyron, which do you think will win?

Bugatti Veyron 987bhp => 530bhp per tonne
McLaren F1 627bhp => 550bhp per tonne

I think it is pretty close to call but what are your thoughts?

I thought a very general rule of thumb was bhp = speed and torque = acceleration.

So what are the torque figures on those cars. And more importantly what are the gear box ratios?!

I thought a very general rule of thumb was bhp = speed and torque = acceleration.

No way, power:weight is a much better rule of thumb if you're going to use one, but obviousely loses it's effect the faster the speeds get.

I'm going for the Mclaren F1. Does anybody have one of each we could race?

Thought not.

This race will be done in this series of Top Gear so we will get to actually see the answer!

I guess it will be whichever one James is not driving?! :lol:

I'd go with the superior pwr/weight ratio for this purpose if all else is equal.

But if the Veyron with it's full time 4wd and sophisticated wheel by wheel torque management makes a better job of getting the power down on the road than the [relatively] crude McLaren then it might be closer than we think. It might even reverse the final result.

It is very tough to call. The sheer weight of the Veyron will probably help out with traction and getting the power down in addition to the clever electronics HDI mentioned.

It was a close call then wasn't it, that F1 got off the line pretty sharpish although how much was that for dramatic effect, and yes I'd have the Maclaren if it was my money to spend :D

I think the stig would have stormed it all the way if he was in the Veyron. Gear changes of a pro can make a massive difference.

better power to weight ratio gave the f1 better acceleration,but veyron has faster top speed couse of more hp....but in 1/4 of mile drag race f1 would have better time...but what ya tink-whitch is faster round a track???i think veyron couse of all the technology...f1 doesnt even have abs or tracktion control...

Think of them like this ok...

Veyron, a very rich man's play thing, a couple of really very fast armchairs...
F1, a proper drivers car, and a race car....

So the F1 would win despite being much much older....

But to be honest, I thought that the veyron on top gear would have beat the F1 off the line, after all it has launch control which should give the best start possible everytime, where as you have to be skilled to launch an F1 like that....

Do you think it's possible to make a Mclaren F1 do 300mph with a bit more power?

That start surprised me I was pretty sure the veyron would be closer! Mind you could it be that the Stig is a far better driver...bit of an unfair test, swap them over and see the difference :p

No need, they put Hammond in the veyron because it launches itself, press the button and away you go... You need a skilled driver to launch the F1

I would just have to go with the McLaren F1, it has been said that a 16 year girl could drive the Veyron because all the gadgets. I say give me a real car, how about the SSC Ultimate Aero, also a driver car which held the Fastest production car title for a few years before the Bugatti Veyron.

On Top gear they had the Mclaren vs the Bugatti and the Bugatti won. Mclaren was faster off the line which i'd probably expect (especially given Stig was in it!)

On Top gear they had the Mclaren vs the Bugatti and the Bugatti won. Mclaren was faster off the line which i'd probably expect (especially given Stig was in it!)

Yep, thats an old one but lets not forget that the Mclaren was built with dynamics in mind, so it will always be faster on the start and good on the corners, the bugatti wins it because its all filled with technology and computers, id choose the mclaren anyday.

Yeah I was thinking along those lines, I would think that a guy that had access to those kind of cars would have something more expensive in his garage.... Then again if I won the lottery for example I wouldnt sell/scarp/give away my Peugeots because theyre perfectly good cars and I rather like them.... he might just like the Rover 100,

I wouldnt mind a go in Loz's 100 :)

Over standing 1 mile the Veyron will be going quicker its achieved 204mph the Macca can reach 197mph in that time. ET wise the Veyron is circa 23secs the Macca around 26secs.
Forget the Topgear nonsense if they had used TC in the Veyron it would have simply disappeared as its 0-100mph time is over a second quicker.
One car destroying another dont make good TV im afraid.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back