mazda 6 1.8 ts tuning

kaplee

Car
Mazda 6 1.8 TS 2006
all hi, just joined the forum

looking to improve the performance of my 6 ts 1.8.

ive thought about superchargers and turbos. but the guy i use says it will be a waste of money, any clues anyone?

Hello there and may I extend to you a very warm welcome to TorqueCars forums.
It is great to meet you and I hope you enjoy the forums as much as we all do and that you get totally addicted to this site.

He's right about turbos and the like, we get asked this question a lot so have a look at this thread which covers the basics.

http://www.torquecars.com/forums/f101/adding-turbo-nasp-engine-15003/
Cheap turbos can be purchased from breakers yards which are ideal for a try it and see type project.:bigsmile:

Adding a turbo is a major engineering task and without a kit with full instructions and all the parts you need there is a big risk of blowing up the engine. Expect to spend 50 hours upwards on a project of this type. This is not the sort of modification unless you are mechanically competent.

It is worth looking at superchargers as these are easier to install than a turbo is.

The best mods for your car engine are ...
Internal work yields the biggest gains, head work like porting polishing and 3 angle valve jobs will maximise the airflow and raise the power.

If you want to go to the max then cryo treat the block, get it rebored and look into blueprinting and balancing as well.

Bigger valves are an obvious addon but not all engines are suitable as it depends how close together the OEM valves are.

A fast road cam will yield good power gains, especially in the top end of the rev range. Don't go mad though a profile of up to 270 degrees will give the best gains without the engine becoming cammy.

The most popular power mods are induction kits (which are questionable as power mods but they can sound nice if that is your sort of thing) and sports exhausts with sports catalysts or decats.

To keep the car legal I'd recommend a sports catalyst rather than a decat.
The last mod should always be a remap as this will allow you to fully realise the power gains on offer from your mods. Turbo cars respond very well to remaps.

It's worth having a read of the articles on www.torquecars.com/tuning/ for more information on these mods and what the terms mean.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back