Mazda 2.6L I4 to Mazda 3.0L DOHC V6 JE26??

originalmazdawg

Car
Mazda B2600
O.k., here we go. I drive a Mazda B2600i p/u. The pickup has the same 121hp 2.6L that came in the Mazda MPV. The MPV was also available with the same 5-spd that's in my truck.

The MPV was also available with a 155hp 3.0L V6 SOHC, only automatic so I've heard, bummer.

Now here comes the interesting part... I have "heard", but haven't been able to confirm, that the MPV 3.0L uses the same block as the 3.0L SOHC V6 that came in the Mazda 929. Then there is the 929(S) that came with a 3.0L DOHC V6 pushing approx. 195hp.

Both the SOHC and the DOHC have the same "JE" engine code from what I can tell by my "research". The 929(S) was offered with a 5-spd for a limited time, I think it was 89-90.

How difficult can it be swap my 2.6L I4 for this DOHC V6 and mate it to a 5-spd? I have considered trying to find a complete 5-spd 929S car to pull the entire drivetrain out of it from the engine to the rear-end. Any ideas??

Last edited by a moderator:
Never done this or seen it done. I would have thought the only problem you will have is to get the driveshafts of the right length from the new block. Is you pickup the same FWD as the 929? Are the engines also mounted the same way? Going from or to a transverse engine mount causes a lot of problems.

(Welcome to TorqueCars, you sound like you'll fit in just great here!)

I didn't realise the 929's were RWD. That is pretty cool. I think we've just found a new potential drift car;)

I dislike unearthing old & dead posts... BUT

The MPV 3.0L V6 also came in a 5spd manual transmission in 2WD & 4WD mode. as well as the 2.4L i4 also came in 5spd & automatic transmissions.

I almost bought a 1992 MPV 4WD 5spd manual last year. But the owner was way too proud of it, and the van needed way too much work.. I would have loved to have converted my 4dr 1998 4WD Auto to a Manual.

But as for converting the 5spd truck to the v6 manual, that is a lot of fabricating to be had. the Drive shaft in the MPV is bigger than the trucks & cars. you would be much better off converting the B2600i truck to a V8 conversion, instead of screwing around with a v6.

The v6 engine is a piece of junk.. trust me, I know first hand.. I currently own 4 MPV's 3 in the 4wd and 1 in the 2wd