Maxxing my Corsa D

Sound plans you have there but if I were looking to transplant an engine from the VX range it would be the Turbo (Z20 LEH) engine or the Corsa VXR (Z16LER) engine over a 2.5 V6 Lump, gains are much more impressive however with this you will need to upgrade clutch, brakes etc, so may just be cheaper to buy a VXR :(

I think you will be hard pushed to get 180 BHP from the current engine without adding either a turbo or supercharger.

Last edited:
Thanks thats sound advice, and since id be upgrades brakes, suspension, wheels & tryes i could just add in the flywheel and clutch and then do the transplant afterwards, that way the car would be prepared.

Saying that it may be cheaper to buy a 2nd hand VXR like you mentioned but the insurnace will be sky high on a VXR. I have had a decent quote for the 1.2 engine with new cams, headers and all the header work, with suspension and brake upgrades (as the last two tend to balance out the insurance increase).

Definitely going to look into actually buying a VXR though.

Cheers mate

No worries, look forward to seeing how you get on with this :) should be an interesting journey. I have owned 3 Astras, 2 Cavs and 2 Vecs over the years, dont know what it is about this range but I keep coming back to them, even after my last car (Scooby WRX Bugeye)

Just think I am VX daft lol

I'll keep you updated mate :)

and no doubt there brilliant cars I use 2 drive my dads 1.6 2002 astra sxi around on a night he had AP racing coilovers on that and tarox big brake kit on that lowered by 30mm aswell rode lovely had an K&N induction kit on that as well suprised i was allowed behind the wheel at 16!

and yeh i love the bugeye impreza's real nice drive my brother had a 2004 version just got rid actually.

Cheers again for the advice mate

Last edited:
Instead of looking for a VXR I would suggest looking at the 1.7 CDTI SRI version. Lower insurance, power engine and desiel economy, not a bad combination.

Thanks mate but looking to stick with petrol engines, widely upgradable in comparison although that is good advice non the less. Not sure if id be able to get insured on a VXR im only 17 but i'll hopefully get a few quotes.

I doubt you would get insurance that is affordable on a VXR to be honest, the CDTi engines are great I have owned both the Vec and Astra CDTi 150 engines and both are immensley tunable, they out torque the VXR via a stage one tune but then the VXR can go further and the torque starts to come even and slowly overtake however the gearbox in these cars are crap (M32)

i'll see simply becuase even if i got the 1.7 id still be modding it when i cud just buy the VXR nd keep it standard it will have more power than an upgraded 1.7 anyways all depends on the insurance probably end up stickin with the 1.2 if the insurance is too much nd get new CAMS nd headers port them, polish and get the 3 angle job and i'll be doing brakes (tarox big brake kit) suspenion (AP racing) nd wheels/tryes (Oz). so either way should be riding pritty nice mate.

The 1.7 engine will tune to about 170 bhp but the VXR will tune way past 200 in the Corsa and 300 in the Astra form, have read that there is someone transplanting an Astra VXR into the Corsa and is looking for over 400 bhp.

Torque wise the tuned 1.7 will be better than the standard VXR Corsa and possibly better than the Standard Astra VXR.

I think at 17 your better sticking to CAMS etc get a year or so under your no claims then look at getting a bigger engine :)

Last edited:
At 17 any modification will make your insurance sky high.
Your better off waiting for a couple of years and save some cash and built up some no claims.
Insurance would probably work out cheaper for a VXR than it would be for any car that has any form of none manufacturer modification.

Im actually quite suprised after listing some of the modifications i'll be doing to the 1.2 engine mate I am getting reasonable quotes from Aviva, only slightly over 1k a year with plenty of upgrades at 17 is pretty damn good in my opinion, however I tryed to get a quote on a VXR through the same compnay and they wont even quote me. I could try ringing them though and seeing if I could make a deal, if i was going with the VXR.

wow that's a fair bit haha, think im just guna stick with the 1.2L and push for around 160bhp, also do you know where I can buy good fast road cams and some good new headers for the 1.2 engine?

Thanks

Im startin on my 2013 1.3 face lift corsa let me no if u have any good links for mods and parts dude information and links always go far and always help