maximum torque,power per tonne mpg for under £2k

aston

The Torque Meister
Car
VOLVO and VW
I was thinking ... What diesel car gives the most power/torque per ton and still returns good mpg, for under £2k (and is a decent drivers car with a slick gear-change) Just wondering, Thanks all

golf GTTDI with the 150bhp engine. they should be under the £2k mark.
150bhp and around 240ftlb and still get low 50s. a remap adds around 40bhp and 60ftlb

406 2.2 HDi is good but they are hard to find, not many were sold. Not the last word in fuel economy but refinement is exemplary. Remap adds torque in spade loads

That might just be due to people cheap skating on engine oil and not allowing cool down time. But at the age and mileage it's hard to know how it's been treated so good advice matey :)

An old boss had one. Full service history, car was immaculately looked after, no expense spared and the turbo went.

They're not cheap - I had the tubo in my 406 replaced under warranty after driving through deep water - luckily didn't do damage to the internals of the engine. Cost was similar . . . . .

Thought we were on about diesels?

If its any fuel type then I'm sure you could get an M3 for that price...probably not a very good one though...

Alfa Romeo 156 JTDM
With 175bhp as standard from its 2.4ltr, five- cylinder, 20V engine, boasts 284 lb/ft torque and 0 to 60mph time of 8.0 seconds.
A remap or tuning box gets 210bhp. For a front-mounted intercooler, bigger turbo, decat and sports exhaust should get you to 250bhp
With a 247bhp from its burbling 2.3ltr V6 and limited-slip differential, it offers 155mph and 0-60mph in 6.3 seconds. Though drive shafts may be weak, torque and power wise this Alfa's the best.