Mathematicians, I need YOU!!!

jarrus

Pro Tuner
Car
Suzuki Swift Sport
Right then,

I'm trying to convert a number which I came up with after crunching some numbers for calculating what kind of turbo I should be using.

This is the one of the numbers my sums gave

20.58 lb/min air flow

I want to try and convert it into m3/sec so I can plot a point on a different compressor map.

I learnt how to read compressor maps and do the nessesary calculations from the Garrett website but now I have a compressor map for a Mitsubishi turbo and the air flow is read differently and I have found no way of converting my results.

Any ideas?

Brett

They both are an air flow measurement.
It's just that different compaines use different measurements.

I've no idea why they used lb/min but that's what I'm stuck with.

Thanks G, but it's not what I'm after,
Like I said before theses are measurements of flow rate hence why they say so many lb's over a certain period of time.

Hhmmm, it seems that What I need to convert my result to isn't really possible due to the fact that what I have is a Mass Flow figure and I want to convert it into a Volume Flow figure.

Difficult but not impossible.

i googled a few things mate and i cant seem to find anything that seems suitable, sorry mate.

If you're thinking about std atmospheric pressure then you can roughly convert between mass per unit of time to volume per unit of time.

Air density varies with temperature, altitude and general meteorological conditions.

The only true unit is mass, however.

Tell me exactly what it is you're trying to achieve and I'll work through the arithmetic for you. (Note that arithmetic is not maths - they're totally different disciplines).

Well, I'm trying to convert lb/min into m3/sec

20.58 lb/min into m3/sec

As far as I know, lb/min is a mass flow rate and m3/sec is a volume flow rate which has made it difficult for me to convert the results. If you want, I can try and scan my caluclations which I have on a piece of paper and post them up on here to see if you can help. I do consider myself fairly diligent but I'm not mensa member like yourself.

I'm still a bit of a simpleton.

I should have mentioned why...

http://www.wallpaperinstaller.com/scooby/13T.jpg

That's a compressor maps for one of the turbos I have, which I plan on installing on my engine in the near future and before doing so I wanted some raw data.

Acutally I reckon you could help me a big more on making my results more accurate, I'll fill you in a bit more later, if you decide to help me.

No pressure..... well not to you at least.....

Under standard conditions (25 degC and 1atm), the density of air is about 1.168kgm-3. Hence 1kg of air would have a volume of: 1kg/1.168kgm-3 = 0.8562m3
1 pound = 0.453 kilograms.

Hope this helps.

I can read compressor maps but I'm no mathmetician! One thing I will say though is:

Volume = mass/density

You need to know the density of air. But to calculate that you need to use the ideal gas law!

Last edited: