Major valeting session this week

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
If the weather holds out I have a major valeting session to do this week on 2 cars!

Old car!
Full Polish & then wax on paintwork.
Alloy wheel repair kit to remove some chips and bubbling.
Interior clean and prep

New Car!
Fully wash and prep for SupaGuard shine coating or WAX it - not decided yet and not convinced Supa Guard is the best thing ever.
Apply supa guard alloy wheel protector.
Apply supa guard interior stain guard and leather conditioner.

And I don't have an electric buffer either so it's going to be a manual job.

Lets see how I get on and I'll be posting up pics and pointers as I go.

I am planning on taking a few days off work for the same reason. Gave my baby a good hoover and 3 hour wash the other week, but due to all the crap on the road's she gets dirty quickly.

What are you planning to polish her with.

I was watching wheeler deeler the other week and they had this ''mop'' tool to polish there cars with. They look the dogs so might see if I can hire one from somewhere.

dont go with the supaguard, couple of coats of colinite 476 or finishkare fk1000p will look and last much better

remember and clay the car 1st if the paint doesnt feel smooth.

BBJ re the polishing mop, i wouldnt allow within a mile of your mitsi as jap paint is very soft. the wool mops are more for hard german paint such as the audi where even the compounding pads and a fast cut polish hardly can struggle to remove some scratches

best look towards foam pads. rather than hire you can get the silverline one for around £40. so for around £100 you can have the rotary, few different cutting pads and different cuts of polish

regarding wheeler dealers. isnt that where they turn a car around and get shot of it ? if so the reason it probably looks so good as a glaze would have been put on the car rather than a cutting polish. the glaze fills the scratches and heavily oiled so gives a fantastic wet look finish

BBJ re the polishing mop, i wouldnt allow within a mile of your mitsi as jap paint is very soft. the wool mops are more for hard german paint such as the audi where even the compounding pads and a fast cut polish hardly can struggle to remove some scratches

best look towards foam pads. rather than hire you can get the silverline one for around £40. so for around £100 you can have the rotary, few different cutting pads and different cuts of polish

regarding wheeler dealers. isnt that where they turn a car around and get shot of it ? if so the reason it probably looks so good as a glaze would have been put on the car rather than a cutting polish. the glaze fills the scratches and heavily oiled so gives a fantastic wet look finish

Yeah thats right, and as it happens they were doing up a VW bug. I have used fome pads before with red T-cut, you get a nice finnish but I am wanting to give her a really good polish that will last a while? Do you advise using wax after a good T-cut polish? Or should I avoid that and use me trustworthy red lable Auto Glum?

Oh, and where do you get the silverline pads and rotary from?

ALLWAYS use a wax or sealant after polishing

were you using a machine with the foam pads ?
to get a really good finish i do the following

wash off with hose
2 bucket wash using shampoo and degreaser
use tardis to clean off all tar and sap
2 bucket wash with shampoo only
clay with lube
2 bucket wash to clear off lube
dry off car
used a polishing pad along with a finishing polish - my case meguires 205 polish and lake country green pad
clean off polish residue
and 2 coats of fk1000p - sealant rather than a wax

this is what i was left with back at the end of october ready for winter

Carfinish.jpg

stiill looked good and had good beading when she got a decent wash the other week and a top up of fk. that should keep her until the better weather

the autoglym super resin is good at masking, what colours your car ? you may find that their ultra deep shine gives better results on darker cars.

Red mate. My genral clean is turtalwax wash and wax shampoo. Then (I think it is called this) neio green alloy wheel cleaner with a brush for the alloy's, then use autoglum polish.

But as I said, I want a good finesh to start the year.

What is the clay with lube? Any brand or is there a good one?

I was using the foam pad with a hand held gripper thing (about the size of a coffee coaster).

I've heard good things about colinite 476 and will probably buy some. The paint is Perfect at the moment, not a swirl or bump anywhere so I want to get some protection on it. Supagard is apparently quite hard to do on a DIY basis and if it looks bad I'm stuck with it till it wears off 3 years later.

The wax I was going to use is NXT tech wax, which I really like but am tempted by the colinite 476!

To polish the old car and get rid of swirls I was going to use G3 paste then an application of wax on tip. Probably will need to clay the old car, it was done just before winter but I doubt it will stay that good.

unfortunalty you will struggle to get a good finish by hand.

the clay id recommend is bilt hamber as you can just use water as lube. you can get it on ebay for around £12 for a 200 gram bar. 25g is normally enough for a car

the lube is really just a quick detailer for topping up wax between washes these cost bout £5 a 500ml spray bottle.
what i use is some demon shine (normally on offer in asda 4ltrs for £5 or something) throw about 50ml in a spray bottle and top up with water so its somewhere around 10%

the shine itself comes, not from the wax as most people think, but from the polishing stage. the smoother and cleaner you can make your paint the better the finish.
the SRP doesnt have that much cut but instead fills the scratches and swirals.
tcut has some cut but again not much.
meguires do a paint cleaner polishing kit that can be used by hand.

try giving the car a going over with the clay and you might notice a difference as it will remove alot of the contaminates that you cant see that arent removed with washing

waynne id be tempted to clay the new car as well. just to see if audi have maybe tried to mask any paint defects

couple of coats of 476 will last you a good few months. i did find the nxt 2 wax didnt last very long and had to be re applied every couple of weeks

Here is one for you, I have quite a few little stone chipps in my front bumber from lose stones. They are only tiny, but down the the white primer. Do you suggest the filling pens you can get in halfords with the top coat that goes over them, or would I have to get it done my a profesinal?

Here is one for you, I have quite a few little stone chipps in my front bumber from lose stones. They are only tiny, but down the the white primer. Do you suggest the filling pens you can get in halfords with the top coat that goes over them, or would I have to get it done my a profesinal?

Try some Dr Color Chip Stone Chip Product it's amazing. You smear it on, wait a bit, rub it off with the stuff they supply and the stuff in the chips stays, the rest just wipes away. It's better to prep the chip with a slight sanding with wet & dry first (just the chip area not around it).

Try some Dr Color Chip Stone Chip Product it's amazing. You smear it on, wait a bit, rub it off with the stuff they supply and the stuff in the chips stays, the rest just wipes away. It's better to prep the chip with a slight sanding with wet & dry first (just the chip area not around it).

Cheers waynne, Ill google it now and get it.