Magna twin charged

soleit

Car
'97 Magna TF Altera
I have a 97 Magna TF Altera and going to change the motor from 3.0ltr to 3.8ltr & gearbox, twin pipes with rear mounted twin turbocharge & top mounted supercharge. Before I drop the new engine in I'll be getting it prepared for the charges & just wondering what would need to be done for this.

Also I was thinking of keeping it automatic with tranny cooler or going triptonic but was wondering if a manual conversion would be better only if the box wouldn't cope with that much power coming through it.

Another "interesting" first post

presuming it is a serious one the answer is

If you truly can fit the 3.8 engine into a TF and make it run fine with rear mounted twin turbos and a supercharger..................

The rest will be childs play

First post on this forum, yes. Serious question, yes. A 3.8 fits into a TF with the usual mods i.e. engine mounts, trann, wiring & ECU. What I'm after is what needs to be done to the engine so it copes with the power. I'm assuming the cams, head & springs, does anything need to be done to pistons?

First post on this forum, yes. Serious question, yes. A 3.8 fits into a TF with the usual mods i.e. engine mounts, trann, wiring & ECU. What I'm after is what needs to be done to the engine so it copes with the power. I'm assuming the cams, head & springs, does anything need to be done to pistons?

Greetings and Welcome to TorqueCars my Friend! :)

just IMHO , but I would not of thought a charger was neccessary especially as it will add a lot of greif to the project.
Running a 3.8 you should spool up most turbos very quickly .

Re upgrades - depends of the flow of the head as standard.
This sounds like big power so I would imagine forged rods and pistons and a strenghthened head gasket.

I assume larger injectors pump and a proper ecu and map etc are taken as read.

Then there is what you will have to do to the car to keep it safe .

just IMHO , but I would not of thought a charger was neccessary especially as it will add a lot of greif to the project.

How would it add grief?

This sounds like big power so I would imagine forged rods and pistons and a strenghthened head gasket.

Gasket! That's what I was missing :)

I assume larger injectors pump and a proper ecu and map etc are taken as read.

Yeah, the ECU will be from a 380 and flashed while dyno testing. I'll be leaving that part to the pros. Definitely yes to the injector setup as well

Then there is what you will have to do to the car to keep it safe

Rear sway bar, strut brace, already lowered to 110mm, already has low profile 17" & whatever else is needed to keep all 4 wheels on the ground, but I'm trying to work out which struts would be best to lower the torque steering as much as possible. Upgrading the calipers to 380 & rotors to drilled as well.

I could always get a GTO twin turbo halfcut, but what's the fun in that?? ;)

presumably you just want the charger for before the turbos kick in .
And as the engine size will spool up even a 600bhp twin turbo set up easily I cant see the point -only my opinion of course.
It will be more grief because sorting out this will not be easy. By that I dont mean connecting it up but making it all work smoothly.

Also i would have thought that with all that works and £££s spent a fully mappable ecu like a link on HKS Fcon would be a must (again only imho of course)

It will certainly need a full map The difference between even an 8 and 16 bit ecu is massive on a high power engine

BTW what bhp are looking for

I assume op is going for remote turbo compound charged, which would be relatively straight forward in my opinion. and shouldn't cost to much

After speaking to several mechanics and enthusiasts (including you guys), they all reckon leave out the supercharge as the turbos would kick in around the 2k rev and the supercharge would just make traction near impossible. However, I am the type who refuses to give up too easily and now claymore has me curious about remote turbo compound charged. If it's an easy setup, would that affect traction just as much? Stupid question & I'm guessing yes, but surely there's a way to keep in on the tar better e.g. AWD conversion (no, not interested in just buying an AWD, interested only in doing this car as it's already started on. That and why not)

Never mind the last post, just realised what remote charged means and yes, that's exactly what's happening. Well, will be if I still continue on this path

Last edited: